Dahua 5442 - video page empty dropdowns, can't change video settings?

Reaction score
I've been trying to reconfigure a Dahua 5442 camera stream / substream but when I log into the camera, go to the Video page, all of the dropdowns such as encode mode, resolution, frame rate, bit rate are empty (no values), and when I toggle them the dropdowns are also empty, not letting me change any value.

I've tried resetting to defaults, saving, manual reboot etc and can't seem to get the dropdowns to show any values.

They definitely did work and show values before because I remember configuring them. Since then I haven't touched the settings.

Does anyone know why this might happen? I'd rather not take the camera down to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 21.43.36.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trying to reconfigure a Dahua 5442 camera stream / substream but when I log into the camera, go to the Video page, all of the dropdowns such as encode mode, resolution, frame rate, bit rate are empty (no values), and when I toggle them the dropdowns are also empty, not letting me change any value.

I've tried resetting to defaults, saving, manual reboot etc and can't seem to get the dropdowns to show any values.

They definitely did work and show values before because I remember configuring them. Since then I haven't touched the settings.

Does anyone know why this might happen? I'd rather not take the camera down to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.

View attachment 192364
Are you using IE for your browser when logging into the cam's webGUI?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you using IE for your browser when logging into the cam's webGUI?
No. I don't run windows. I've tried Firefox & Chrome. Both browsers work to load the settings page on an another 5442 camera with no issues and I previously was able to load this settings page.

I noticed a console error on the broken page:
- Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'Enable')

This led me to check the versions of the two cameras - the one with issues is the varifocal variant with an older firmware version. I guess I could always try to upgrade the firmware. But it's still frustrating because it definitely worked before and I haven't been playing around with the settings since it was working.

Reaction score
Changing browsers doesn't help.

Interestingly one of the GRPC endpoints it tries to hit on page load is returning responses with errors inside like this:

"error": {
"code": 268959743,
"message": "Unknown error! error code was not set in service!"
},

Seems to be something more serious happening.