Dahua and Amcrest compatibility.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi.

Family of mine have been using 2 Amcrest IP2M-841 camera's as a baby camera. They were recommendations from this forum. They like them.
Now they're looking for an outside camera on a barn that's about 40 meters away.

And of course, I'm looking at what Dahua has available.;)

For now, I'm thinking about one of these:
IPC-HDW3241T-ZAS
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE
IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

These 3 seem to be the current preferred camera's as of today. Tonight I also found the IPC-HDW5241TM-ASE but I don't know yet how it compares to the other 3.

TLDR: But now my question is, will the Amcrest and Dahua camera's work together. They've been using the Amcrest PC software (Amcrest Surveillance Pro I think) for a live view of the Amcrest camera's (and Amcrest View Pro on Android). They don't record the Amcrest camera's, it's just for live view.
For a potential outside camera, they probably will record/store footage on a SD-card in the camera.

Let's say they buy a Dahua camera, will they be able to live view the Dahua camera in the mentioned Amcrest software and apps? Watch potential recordings of the Dahua camera in the Amcrest software/apps?
Or the other way around, use Dahua software (SmartPSS and DMSS) and (live) view the Amcrest camera's?
I has been mentioned Amcrest are basically Dahua camera's and should work together but I would like to be sure before recommending them stuff.

And another thing.
They're planning on building a new home in the (hopefully) near future and have expressed their interest in having a couple camera's around the house. Maybe a video doorbell.
Sound like a couple of Dahua camera's, maybe Dahua doorbell and Dahua NVR.

Depends on how things work out - maybe they loose interest, things get to expensive etc. - if they decide to go ahead with a camera system; those 'old' Amcrest camera's might become usefull for other purposes .
Maybe mount them inside - another, yet to be build shed or something - and connect them to the Dahua NVR.

The Dahua website used to mention - somewhat less intuitive - how many camera's a NVR could do IVS/SMD for itself.
So connect (most of the times, only a few) non-Ai/IVS camera's and let the NVR do tripwire, human/vehicle detection etc..
That would be great for those 2 Amcrest camera's, but I can't find it anywhere anymore what the Dahua NVR's capabilities are. Does anyone know?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they use P2P on their android Amcrest View Pro app for remote Amcrest camera access, then adding a Dahua camera via P2P to Amcrest app would not work. They would have to use DMSS for Dahua P2P. Amcrest and Dahua use different P2P servers.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amcrest is an OEM brand of Dahua so it is highly likely they'll work together. I have mostly Dahua cameras and one Amcrest. They all play well together using Blue Iris,
Yes, it should be compatible. My neighbor has a mx of both and use both apps interchangeably.
Good to hear. Would have been a bit unhandy having to use different apps/programs.
If they decide to go with a camera system their new house, the will be using a NVR.
If they use P2P on their android Amcrest View Pro app for remote Amcrest camera access, then adding a Dahua camera via P2P to Amcrest app would not work. They would have to use DMSS for Dahua P2P. Amcrest and Dahua use different P2P servers.
They connect via Wireguard VPN (on a Raspberry Pi) to their camera's. No P2P.

Now I know Amcrest and Dahua should work together I can decide which Dahua camera.
Leaning towards the IPC-HDW3241T-ZAS for it's cheaper price, vari-focal lens and the fact they've got an PIR floodlight and street light nearby.
The Dahua websites mentions vehicle/human detection for all 3 models, however in the IPC-HDW3241T-ZAS review on this forum, it didn't work.
Is that still the case? If so, then my choice would lean to the IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE.

Last edited:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just an update; in the end they ordered the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE and I have it mounted next to my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, just so I don't have to dial in all the settings at their place.
And to see what ~ 5 years of development looks like.

I have yet to dial in the settings for the new 4MP (I have to look at the 5442 topic to see what (video)settings you guys use (exposure, shutter etc.) but development did happen.
The 4MP looks a lot crisper, less noise (but that could just be my settings) and SO MUCH MORE IVS/event settings. :oops:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a test I setup yesterday. I was checking Amcrest NVR and Amcrest surveillance Pro with an ipc 49425( dahua) camera. Was also checking how the AD110 works with Amcrest Surveillance Pro. It is designed to work with another Amcrest App, called "Smart Home", but not with the " app" Amcrest View Pro.
I'm sure somebody may have found a way to view the AD110 in View Pro, but it wasn't readily apparent to me.
.207 is the Amcrest DVR/Xvr running 8 Costco Nightowl camera's
.37 is the Doorbell
.208 is the Amcrest NVR (tagged 4108)
.008 is tagged PTZ ( 494425 Andy Cam)

Surveillancepro_Dahua49425_AD110Doorbell.png

Last edited: