Dahua & Blue Iris: who controls your motion detection?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am curious as to what people are doing regarding a powerful camera like Dahua and Blue Iris in regard to managing your security.
Do you have everything set up in BI (ie: motion detect, zones, zone crossing, etc.) or do you have everything setup on Dahua with a connect to BI (ie: "Get events with PullPointSubscription"), or maybe you do a combination of both?
It takes a respectable amount of energy and knowledge to configure one of these IVS systems and to tweak it to work in various conditions (day vs night, profiles, etc.). So I'm wondering where the bang for the buck is, using BI, Dahua (or another brand with equal features) or a hybrid of both.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have BI recording 24/7 and zone crossing setup for alerts. Then the Dahua cams i set up the ivs to record to the memory cards in the cameras. Then i also setup a Dahua Nvr recording 24/7.

I have almost 30 cams and should have a total of 3 recordings for an event if needed

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
WoW. good redundancy. That's not a bad idea. I could set up a large SD card in the Dahua with IVS to record directly to that in case something happened inside the house (server).

Bubs

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
please don't take this wrong way "why" are you doing that way? I new and just lean and building my system, and have limit budget what is best bang for my buck in building my system

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe Jay will answer that, but I'm thinking it's for redundancy. It looks like his setup may be for a business or something security natured, so I would understand redundancy in that situation.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's for personal use. I started with BI with cheap 720 cameras. But night vision was only good for about 30ft cause there's no lighting around.

When I found the Dahua starlight cams I started replacing them. Decided before I put the cams up I would put 64gb cards in them and learned the ivs to record to the card.

So there was some cams that had a firmware that had a bug no matter what the fps in the cameras were BI received 30fps so I was having issues of BI crashing cause of the am9amoof cameras. Wasn't a problem with BI. So for a fix I had to turn on the limit decoding on 1/2 the cameras. So I ended up purchasing a 32ch 4k Nvr since it will run them at 30fps.

In the last month I have a new firmware and got cams set at 15fps and BI is stable. So I just leave everything running as is as backup.

I use BI for viewing and remotely. Haven't logged into NVR for few months since it's not as simple as BI.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not clear now that it works. I think the documentation says it does for some cameras but maybe not all. Still, if anyone is using it and it relates to my original question here, I'd be interested in knowing what cams it works with and how people are using it.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some of the cameras will work with Get events with PullPointSubscription

It depends on firmware best bet is to watch the videos on zone crossing and learn it.

That works with any camera

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Jay, I did watch videos and tried it out, seemed to work fine with BI but if pullpointsubscription works I'm still left wondering if the cam's IVS is better to use over BI's...

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a toss up with ivs you have to set target ssizes properly or it'll trigger shadows.

My ptz cams work with the Get events with PullPointSubscription

But the domes I had to set up onvif to get some to work. Bi will show as an external alarm but sometimes it misses it

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still left wondering if the cam's IVS is better to use over BI's...
Before I had BI, I used IVS + intrusion zones (with both "crossed" and "appears" enabled) to record to a Dahua NVR, and I loved it. I don't have trees kicking up shadows like your pic from the other thread, but I do get days where larger bands of dark shadows will roll fairly quick across a scene (from fast moving clouds on sunny days). IVS never triggered on these events. Or things like the porch light turning off at night.

When I moved over to Blue Irish, BI would immediately trigger on those things. Several months in, I think I finally have a grasp on it (using a combination of "moves between zones" and "object must move xxx pixels"), but I'm still tinkering. I have a BI profile setup that will hold for two hours and not send any alerts during that time (it still records them, though) and then switch back to my normal profile. Before I got things tuned, I'd use that to getting bombarded with false alerts from shadows. Nowadays, I mostly just use it to not get bombarded when I'm doing yard work. :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jay, I did watch videos and tried it out, seemed to work fine with BI but if pullpointsubscription works I'm still left wondering if the cam's IVS is better to use over BI's...
Nope, if using BI, it's motion capability's are much better than IVS when properly configured. And that doesn't happen in one setting, you need to tweak it over time.