Dahua camera combo advice

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Closest I've found is the IPC-HFW5442-ZE which has everything I've said above, and positive review, but it's a bullet. If that is in fact the closest thing to what I want then I might sacrifice the turret style for bullet at the front of the house. Also means I get audio in the camera at the front which I'd rather have than not.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So do turrets. Perhaps less but they're not immune by any stretch of the imagination. There is no magic about turrets that chase the spiders away.
I had a turret at Moms just this week that a gecko decided was a great place to sleep and wag his frickin tail all night on and woke up to 150+ email alerts.

I have 9 bullets at my home, 6 on the street for the HOA and I've cleaned spider webs maybe 2 times in the past 2-3 months. This is Floriduh, we have insects so big you'll walk on the other side of the street to avoid disturbing them.

The key isnt the form factor it's where the IR LED's are located. Most turrets have 2 LED's BELOW the lens, many bullets have 4, two ABOVE and two below the lens. Spiders, (and many other critters) seem to like the IR.

Really I understand that most folks like turrets for the aesthetics, but you wont find an outdoor camera that you Never need to clean the lens on. I just think its an overblown 1st world problem. Its not hard to wipe 'em off.

If its that big of a concern, I'll sell ya one of my redneck spider web removers! Working on an improved telescopic model ;)

redneck_spider_remover.JPG

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So do turrets. Perhaps less but they're not immune by any stretch of the imagination. There is no magic about turrets that chase the spiders away.
I had a turret at Moms just this week that a gecko decided was a great place to sleep and wag his frickin tail all night on and woke up to 150+ email alerts.

I have 9 bullets at my home, 6 on the street for the HOA and I've cleaned spider webs maybe 2 times in the past 2-3 months. This is Floriduh, we have insects so big you'll walk on the other side of the street to avoid disturbing them.

The key isnt the form factor it's where the IR LED's are located. Most turrets have 2 LED's BELOW the lens, many bullets have 4, two ABOVE and two below the lens. Spiders, (and many other critters) seem to like the IR.

Really I understand that most folks like turrets for the aesthetics, but you wont find an outdoor camera that you Never need to clean the lens on. I just think its an overblown 1st world problem. Its not hard to wipe 'em off.

If its that big of a concern, I'll sell ya one of my redneck spider web removers! Working on an improved telescopic model ;)

View attachment 50634
Fair point! Given the paper specs seem to be realised in the real world reviews and comparisons both in day and night, this camera is hard to ignore. I think I might have my camera combo!

The HFW5442E-ZE looking across my front drive and then the Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 at the side and back. I'd like to think that selection is as optimum as a newbie like me can make it! :) For now anyway ;-)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Run extra wires to spots, where you would install other cameras in the future. Trust me, you will.
I have 10 and I'm about to buy another one(around the front door). My house, is only 1174 sq ft.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Run extra wires to spots, where you would install other cameras in the future. Trust me, you will.
I have 10 and I'm about to buy another one(around the front door). My house, is only 1174 sq ft.
Oh yes I realised that when I used that calculator which helps figure out the right focal length for your location. I put the 3 cameras on there and then realised I would probably want another 2 at the back to get proper coverage! The front is harder to add to due to WAF and I will also have a Nest Hello doorbell so should be covered. I can tell this will become very addictive if I'm not careful!!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
For example, I have two cameras on each side of the garage door, to better see what is going on, if somebody decides to check out one of my cars. I also have an LPR camera. Another camera across the porch, to see packages.
I'm bad, I know, I give you more ideas. ;)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somebody could enlighten me please, which sensor is better, 1.8, 2.7 or 2.8?
Generally speaking, the bigger the sensor the better it does in low light. So with your list, 1/1.8” is the biggest, followed by 1/2.7” then 1/2.8”.

But megapixels matter too. The 1831/2831 models are 8MP 1/1.8” and aren’t Starlights whereas the new 5442 models are 4MP 1/1.8” and are labeled as Starlight+ models.

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did anyone ever buy a IPC-HDW3541T-ZAS to see what it was like?
I did. Had some found money and lowballed an ebayer. we met in the middle. From what I can tell it's about like the 3241 except for the megapixels but I wanted the higher rez for daytime.

The WDR is crap on it. Made a lot of artifacts. I just turned it off.

Image does get a little noisy during pre-dawn hours but I just need to get the day-night switch timing nailed. Mostly happy with it so far.