Dahua Camera ePoE Long Distance Use

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in an outdoor installation of the Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE 600 feet away from the nearest power and switch. I'm aware that ethernet cable is only meant to be run 100m so I've been looking for alternative options.

I've been reading up on Dahua ePoE and it appears I can use Dahua's ePoE switch with a Dahua ePoE camera with direct burial Cat6 cable to make the run.

Diagram:
[Dahua ePoE Switch]---------------------------600 ft Cat 6------------------------[Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE Camera]

I won't have power where the camera will be (other than solar... probably not preferred).

A few questions:
  • Is this feasible/is this really how ePoE works/do I need repeaters or anything?
  • Has anyone done this before?
  • Are there other recommended options?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to use solid copper cable of a size of 23awg. And not copper clad aluminum cable.
Yes, that is how ePOE works.

If you are in an area that has lightning, you should consider surge suppression on each end of the cable, and to use Shielded cable, with one end of the cables shield grounded.

Be sure to use Di-Electric grease on any outdoor connections.

Last edited:

Tibbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in an outdoor installation of the Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE 600 feet away from the nearest power and switch. I'm aware that ethernet cable is only meant to be run 100m so I've been looking for alternative options.

I've been reading up on Dahua ePoE and it appears I can use Dahua's ePoE switch with a Dahua ePoE camera with direct burial Cat6 cable to make the run.

Diagram:
[Dahua ePoE Switch]---------------------------600 ft Cat 6------------------------[Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE Camera]

I won't have power where the camera will be (other than solar... probably not preferred).

A few questions:
  • Is this feasible/is this really how ePoE works/do I need repeaters or anything?
  • Has anyone done this before?
  • Are there other recommended options?
Hi.
I'm using exact camera with Dahua ePOE switch with full spool of 1000ft cable. Works like a charm.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too am using that exact camera (& others) with Dahua’s ePoE 16-port switch with a little over 700ft of 23 awg cat6a wire.