Dahua Camera Firmware Update

elecpurch

n3wb
Reaction score
Just curious how everyone updates their Dahua cameras which are connected to a Dahua NVR. My Dahua NVR (DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) can get updates directly from the internet when I hit the "Manual Check" button as it has direct internet access (same network as my router). The Dahua cameras on the other hand are on a separate network which is managed by the Dahua NVR. I can access these cameras from the NVR (http://NVRIP:pORT/) but these cameras don't have access to the internet so can't retrieve update files.

What I've been doing in the past is:
1. Download the firmware file and apply it to the camera while it is still connected to the NVR (offline update) - EDIT: this does not work for me anymore. Maybe new NVR firmware.
2. Disconnect the camera from the NVR and connect it to my internet router which gives it internet access and it can automatically retrieve update files (online update - PITA)

Are there any simpler ways of doing this. Any changes I can make to retrieve the update files while the cameras are connected to the NVR?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you really need to ask yourself, why am I updating? If it is just for kicks, then stay with what is working. A lot of times the updates are just for security patches, but if your cameras are isolated from the internet, then it doesn't matter.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. Most of us do not update our cameras.

If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

It may not be updating because it is an incompatible firmware with your hardware and is saving you grief from bricking the camera, or something else is going on.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Latest cameras updates are with added option 2DNR. Nice to have

elecpurch

n3wb
Reaction score
Latest cameras updates are with added option 2DNR. Nice to have
Thanks for your response. This is the sort of thing which makes me want to update the firmware once in a while. Some firmwares come with new features while some also make an existing feature even better.

elecpurch

n3wb
Reaction score
So you really need to ask yourself, why am I updating? If it is just for kicks, then stay with what is working. A lot of times the updates are just for security patches, but if your cameras are isolated from the internet, then it doesn't matter.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. Most of us do not update our cameras.

If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

It may not be updating because it is an incompatible firmware with your hardware and is saving you grief from bricking the camera, or something else is going on.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png
Thanks for the detailed response. I am also a fan of not fixing anything unless it's broken. Unless it's called for to continue to get support on the product. But i also like to get any new features/functions which sometimes come with new firmware. This is the only reason I look at firmware updates once in a while. I prefer to get the camera to connect to the internet once or twice a year and check for updates automatically before isolating it again. Totally staying away from manual firmware downloads unless the supplier asks me to do it to fix an issue under warranty.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like no one else is having issues updating their Dahua cameras via the NVR?
I have updated mine all ok via the web, you have to login to the NVR via IE and you should be able to follow another link to the camera and then update the fw. works fine with mine. got the latest version.

elecpurch

n3wb
Reaction score
I have updated mine all ok via the web, you have to login to the NVR via IE and you should be able to follow another link to the camera and then update the fw. works fine with mine. got the latest version.
Strange how it doesn't work for me. Keep on getting "failed to upload". This is on IE and it used to work fine around 6-7 months back.

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you read in the thread what it does ? Its what @wittaj say.. some people complaining that the quality of image is now worser with 2dnr
1. No mention of 2DNR from Wittaj
2. 2DNR was always been there. Just with fixed value and hidden from our eyes.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
1. No mention of 2DNR from Wittaj
2. 2DNR was always been there. Just with fixed value and hidden from our eyes.
i was not talking about something from wittaj about 2dnr...

its more general. you make an update and get worser image/behaviour than before. you may notice it, you may not. if you are fine with the behaviour of old firmware, dont update. you may register your bad footage when its too late and you need it...

i posted some videos yesterday !
you may be right that there was some "hidden" fixed 2dnr, but i didnt notice such a bad image before.. also looney said that there is some stutter behaviour on fast moving cars... he didnt post a video, but maybe he will ...

start reading here

Last edited:

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i was not talking about something from wittaj about 2dnr...

its more general. you make an update and get worser image/behaviour than before. you may notice it, you may not. if you are fine with the behaviour of old firmware, dont update. you may register your bad footage when its too late and you need it...

i posted some videos yesterday !
you may be right that there was some "hidden" fixed 2dnr, but i didnt notice such a bad image before.. also looney said that there is some stutter behaviour on fast moving objects... he didnt post a video, but maybe he will ...

start reading here
Got ya. Nice thread to read

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Am I right in assuming that now with the latest Dahua camera updates there's no going back to older firmware, because of 2.0 security and it being encrypted firmware?
If so we become dependent on Dahua continuing to develop firmware and bug fixes for our existing cameras, that quite possibly Dahua see as obsolete camera models, (plus Andy's help here on IPCT).

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works with Chrome as well.

This is what i did:

Firstly downloaded the firmware from dahua support page, should be under downloads tab, the file have .bin extension.

login to NVR with IP address > select settings > Camera > you should see the IE icon next to the cameras see attached screenshot.
click on it, it will open up another chrome tab, login to it again with same credentials as the NVR
You are now in the camera settings, scroll down to upgrade and chose the .bin firmware and wait for it to update, shouldnt take too long. just wait for it to reboot.

This should work on all upgradable cameras.

If it all fails, use another router change the IP range to match the cameras and connect to it then try to login to the cameras as your pc which should be in the same IP range then try updating.

Attachments

Last edited:

elecpurch

n3wb
Reaction score
It works with Chrome as well.

This is what i did:

Firstly downloaded the firmware from dahua support page, should be under downloads tab, the file have .bin extension.

login to NVR with IP address > select settings > Camera > you should see the IE icon next to the cameras see attached screenshot.
click on it, it will open up another chrome tab, login to it again with same credentials as the NVR
You are now in the camera settings, scroll down to upgrade and chose the .bin firmware and wait for it to update, shouldnt take too long. just wait for it to reboot.

This should work on all upgradable cameras.

If it all fails, use another router change the IP range to match the cameras and connect to it then try to login to the cameras as your pc which should be in the same IP range then try updating.
Thanks heaps. Will give this a try.