dahua camera not working on echo show 8

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a dahua ipc-hfw5231e-ze using it as a weather cam. I verified my RTSP stream using VLC (rtsp:/192.xxx.x.xx/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0) It worked okay. I set up the echo show 8 with the proper device name (wxcam) and asked alexa to show it. The response was "waiting for camera", then after ~10 seconds alexa responded "weather camera not responding". What is wrong?

Greg

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are you using the monocle skill? (I was able to use an Echo Show 2nd generation with a Hik camera by using the Monocle skill)

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just tried it with one of my Dahua cameras, a 5231R-ZE, and it works fine
  1. You need to set up a free monocle account at 'monoclecam.com'
  2. The camera has to be using the H264 codec. Since I was using H265 with the main-stream, I enabled the sub-stream using the settings in the attached pic
  3. In the Amazon App, add the monocle skill, make sure you don't have another device with the same name
  4. In the Amazon App, discover devices
  5. Alexa, show driveway

I couldn't get the URL to work in VLC, but it worked fine once set up in monocle
RTSP:/192.16*.**.***/:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

A lot of help in the forums at monoclecam.com is your still having problems. The Hik was extremely easy, the Dahua took a little work...

Attachments

Last edited:

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a dahua ipc-hfw5231e-ze using it as a weather cam. I verified my RTSP stream using VLC (rtsp:/192.xxx.x.xx/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0) It worked okay. I set up the echo show 8 with the proper device name (wxcam) and asked alexa to show it. The response was "waiting for camera", then after ~10 seconds alexa responded "weather camera not responding". What is wrong?

Greg

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using the monocle skill with no success even though I followed what "eeeesh" said .How do I use the ONVIF URL?

Thanks, Greg

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Where can I learn about this feature? I was wondering, what was that enable Alexa in the the camera settings.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I will have to read about this feature. It sounds cool. I have a Show 8 myself.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We have the Show 2nd Generation and it works great. I looked into it a little further, because I thought it may have something to do with the Show 8. Here is a link to compatible devices - it does not specifically list the 'Show 8', I am not sure what the exact model is, but they do mention at the bottom that some devices needs to use the Monocle Gateway, which is a 'service' that runs on your computer

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow. Any way I can do this if using a Dahua NVR where the IP address is 10.x.x.x

Probably not since it’s on a separate network right?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am using pfSense as my firewall (running in a VM with Blue Iris in a separate VM on my server). The Blue Iris VM has two network adapters. WiFi (Amazon echo's) are on one network. IP Cams are on a different network. IPCams can access WiFi network but are blocked to the internet. Monocle/Echo works fine for me, but I have no experience at all with a NVR

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Greg
The Show 8 has been tied down security wise so didn't work for me either with the Monocle skill I needed to install the Monocle Gateway on a pc read up below the Monocle forum has some great people to help you

that was my issue which ended up also being a DNS issue and using the correct tags on Monocle webapp so it pointed to the gateway

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score

Greg

I got the show 8 to work with my Dahua camera. I changed the DNS per "lucky 13" pointing to "Foscam F19821 W" . Thanks to all for the help.

Greg

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just tried it with one of my Dahua cameras, a 5231R-ZE, and it works fine
  1. You need to set up a free monocle account at 'monoclecam.com'
  2. The camera has to be using the H264 codec. Since I was using H265 with the main-stream, I enabled the sub-stream using the settings in the attached pic
  3. In the Amazon App, add the monocle skill, make sure you don't have another device with the same name
  4. In the Amazon App, discover devices
  5. Alexa, show driveway

I couldn't get the URL to work in VLC, but it worked fine once set up in monocle
RTSP:/192.16*..*/:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

A lot of help in the forums at monoclecam.com is your still having problems. The Hik was extremely easy, the Dahua took a little work...

i got mine setup and working, but have a question on the channel and subtype. What numbers do you use for the substream of the camera, vs the main stream?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As with a lot of things in life - I set this up for my wife to use...and I don't think she uses it all :(

From my notes - see if this helps:

using substream 1
rtsp:/192.168.30.***/:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

using substream 2
rtsp:/192.168.30.***/:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2

Skill856

n3wb
Reaction score
I can not login into the Dahua DMSS skill at all. It just keeps telling me my username and password does not match there records. But I have checked and rechecked my account info and it’s correct. Does anyone have any thoughts?