Dahua Camera Settings ?

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a HFW-5220E-Z fixed camera and want to adjust the gain and shutter speed etc to capture License plates. I am running a Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2 and didn't see anything for gain, shutter speed ect. I would guess I would somehow need to log into the camera? I might have missed it on the Main menu on the NVR ?

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
plug into the PoE switch on the back of the NVR and connect directly to the camera's IP listed on the NVR.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr, I have the cameras plugged into the POE switch on back of the NVR. I can view the cameras, well 3 of the 4 and not sure what the deal is on the 4th as all 8 pen's on the cat6 on each end show being correct and in order. So you have the screen that shows each cameras IP on the Main Menu, can I just log in from there or do I have to go to my network and type in the IP for each camera and set up the Username/Pass and then log in. I am sure they are still set up in default. As I just litteraly hooked them up yesterday evening.. Sure I am going to have many more questions from this point on as I am lost in all the settings that they are capable of. My goal right now is get my IDMSS working, get all 4-5 cameras working, hoping that the one that isn't working there is a issue, really want to use both of them for LPR and the other starlight for front driveway with the mic. Just hope somehow my wires got cross on hooking up the Iceative poe to the mic/camera.

I wired it via the cable to the ICeative poe, power the mic, power the camera and plug in the network cable into the camera and the audio in. The camera doenst work, and I even plugged it all in without any mic and still didn't work. So I tested the cable to see if the pins would all test out and they did, so down comes the camera to see if it is a camera issue or what.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you want to manually set exposure settings your gonna needa do em directly on the Camera by connecting to its IP in your browser or SmartPSS; too many cameras have too many possibilities so the NVR is really basic; far too basic for trying to configure plate reading.

the PoE splitters remove PoE from the output; your required to power the camera off 12v too when using those splitters.. it dont pasthrough PoE

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you want to manually set exposure settings your gonna needa do em directly on the Camera by connecting to its IP in your browser or SmartPSS; too many cameras have too many possibilities so the NVR is really basic; far too basic for trying to configure plate reading.

the PoE splitters remove PoE from the output; your required to power the camera off 12v too when using those splitters.. it dont pasthrough PoE

Okay so what you saying is the NVR is to basic for the LPR configurations. Which is what I ran into last night, as most the settings I was looking for I couldn't find. So how do I log into the camera to get to these settings, just get on my local network and type in its IP address and log in that way?

As for the POE splitter, I did the following.

1 POE in the POE Splitter
2 12v splitter cable ( one for the mic and one end for the camera)
3 audio to the audio in port.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your using the PoE on the back of the NVR then its not on your local network but an isolated subnet its maintaining.. If your running it externally off your own PoE switch on your LAN then your already on the same network.. you need to get your computer on the same network, and connect directly to the camera and then all configuration options are exposed.

got a multimeter? make sure the splitter is actually outputting power.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I get the computer on the same network as the NVR?

I set up a new ASUS router and have a DDNS set up, have yet to do a VPN.

As for multimeter, don't have one but did change out for the other one I had and neither one worked. They could both be bad, but who knows. I am going to pull the camera down for ease of working on and go from there. As I said before I tested the Ethernet cable and it tested out and plugged it into the camera and it wouldn't show up on the NVR. Boy do I have a lot of learning to do....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
plug into the back of the NVR and manually configure your network to matching settings, those PoE ports wont harm non-poe devices such as your laptop..

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay no prob I have given up for today once I figured out why the camera wasn't working

Attachments

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the back of the camera. As for how or why, I have no idea it appears to have been turned in circles and then eventually snapped the wire. Not sure when it happened as I know I wasn't spinning the camera that would make the wire do that.

Attachments

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my AV guy coming out to finish and get it all programmed etc. Just don't have the time to get it where I want and have one last camera to install, the HFW5231E-Z.. Then order another one to replace this one that was trashed. Sucks but hey it happens, just want it all set up and then start playing with the settings on the cameras.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
plug into the back of the NVR and manually configure your network to matching settings, those PoE ports wont harm non-poe devices such as your laptop..
Okay so I bought a BV-Tech POE-I100G Gigabit Single Port 30W PoE Injector and for some reason it kept dropping out of my network. I believe the other work around is to plug a cat 6 into my computer then into the back of the NVR. Would it be channel 1 on the back of the NVR and then the IP's of the cameras on the subnet since they would not all hold the same 168.xxx.1.108 IP.

I was having log in issue trying to unplug the camera and using the switch, I was using old IE 8 but the log in admin admin wasn't working on cameras. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera defaults to 192.168.1.108. My home network happens to be on the same (subnet?).

Easiest for me was to attach it to my home network and power it with a 12v/1A power supply.

Opened IE 11 and pointed it to 192.168.1.108

Loaded the two web plugins, and signed in with admin:admin

The camera GUI is then avaialble.

The NVR assigned the camera to its switch (subnet?). Once that happens, you would need a computer attached to any of the open POE ports on the NVR assigned to the 10.1.1.x (subnet?). (I hope i'm using the correct terms)

It became 10.1.1.65 after hooked to the NVR. I have a 5208-8P-4KS2. The NVR has two LAN's, and the uplink card remains on my home address, 192.168.1.66 (example). You can administer the switch to any subnet that isn't the same as the other LAN card in it.

SD

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I might be having issue with IE and need to get the two web plugins.
I have the same NVR as you but 16p
The cameras have been hooked up to the NVR and are like you stated 10.1.1.XX. So I took one camera off and hooked it up the the POE injector and then to the router. I could see the 192.168.1.108 for a min or two then it would drop out? Not sure why...
So I opted to hook the camera directly to the computer and then could see the 192.168.1.108 on my router.. then tried the log in, it got me to the WEB UI screen see attached pic it has several options TCP and DCP? I tried the admin:admin and it wouldn't work and the 888888,666666 etc and just couldn't log in. I am wondering if my computer is not allowing the ActiveX plug in and that might be the issue.

Was figuring I could maybe get past the NVR if I plug into it then see the cameras via the computer. But then it would be the IP 10.1.1.XX to long in?

As for the "My home network happens to be on the same (subnet?)" this in my case would be also correct and was checked on both computers.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Download the Config Tool. It finds the cameras on different IP subnets for you and you can administer them to whatever you like.

Tools

You may need to reset the camera to the factory defaults and try again. It's then admin:admin for the two Dahua's I have.

SD