Dahua cameras not holding correct time

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, basically the same settings as mine except for the time server. I use Ubiquity also so I can try that but I tested 2 time servers already with the same bad result so I think it is a firmware issue with DST.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to set up a time server in the camera interface, where you set the date and time. Sometimes, your Router can perform this task, if you prevent your camera's from connecting to the internet, which is a best practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed you mention to prevent the camera from connecting to the internet. How can I accomplish this? I have a ubiquiti set up. USG, 500W switch, HD APs and AP Pros.
Any help would be appreciated.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed you mention to prevent the camera from connecting to the internet. How can I accomplish this? I have a ubiquiti set up. USG, 500W switch, HD APs and AP Pros.
Any help would be appreciated.
I created a separate network from my cameras and NVR with separate subnets; later, I also set up VLAN’s for each network I created.

My primary network is 10.10.2.X, and the cameras are on 10.10.3.X.

If I recall correctly, ubiquiti by default allows a rotting between subnets, but the VLAN prevents that.

I also have a rule in the firewall for each individual camera that prevents it from accessing the 10.10.2.X subnet and the Internet. I created these rules before I set up the VLANs but I figured might as well leave them in there just to be sure.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I created a separate network from my cameras and NVR with separate subnets; later, I also set up VLAN’s for each network I created.

My primary network is 10.10.2.X, and the cameras are on 10.10.3.X.

If I recall correctly, ubiquiti by default allows a rotting between subnets, but the VLAN prevents that.

I also have a rule in the firewall for each individual camera that prevents it from accessing the 10.10.2.X subnet and the Internet. I created these rules before I set up the VLANs but I figured might as well leave them in there just to be sure.

I hope this helps.

Mark

So if all my cams record to a Synology DSM system via Surveillance Station, would the Syno have to be on the 10.10.2.x or 10.10.3.x? just trying to see how would I set this up if I wanted to be able to view the cams when connecting to my home VPN from my mobile, or even while being home to be able to view the cams via the DSCam (Syno) app.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if all my cams record to a Synology DSM system via Surveillance Station, would the Syno have to be on the 10.10.2.x or 10.10.3.x? just trying to see how would I set this up if I wanted to be able to view the cams when connecting to my home VPN from my mobile, or even while being home to be able to view the cams via the DSCam (Syno) app.
Assuming you use your NAS for other purposes you can leave it on the main subnet and set up a rule in the firewalls so the cameras can get directly to that device (and no other) on the main subnet.

I am not a networking expert, and defer the other questions to others who have more knowledge than I.

Mark

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming you use your NAS for other purposes you can leave it on the main subnet and set up a rule in the firewalls so the cameras can get directly to that device (and no other) on the main subnet.

I am not a networking expert, and defer the other questions to others who have more knowledge than I.

Mark

Thanks Mark.
I am also not an expert and though like the higher end equipment, unfortunately do not end up using half the crap in it, nor the basic stuff either apparently lol

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i have 2 dahua that change to the incorrect time of day. never holds the correct am or pm. i have synced to pc, set them manually to pm . after i log out and recheck its incorrect again
IPC-HFW4431R-Z and a IPC-HDW4431C-A
Me too. I'm having this problem as well. I also tried adjusting the NVR's time and make sure the ipc time sync is enabled but it just reverts/doesn't hold the correct time...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't had any time issues on mine. I always make sure each camera has the same exact time settings. Any minute deviation results in the time being off.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh I see. Each of my cameras are providing/showing different times than the NVR. One camera almost having the correct time but it is slow by 6 mins.

Romanone

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue with time settings. DST applying incorrectly, and time zone reset to UTC+2 after couple minutes, or for sure after restart no matter what I choose. Disable of DST and NTP settings didn't change anything.
My problem was in Dahua NVR. It runs on the latest firmware, but cameras are from China and cannot be updated to the latest FW, so it seems there is some problem with time synchronization between the NVR and IPCs.
Disabling "Sync to Remote Device" and "IPC Time Sync" options did a trick, and allowed me to configure IPC for the correct time.
Maybe it will help someone.

NVR.png

mrfurious

n3wb
Reaction score
My temporary solution was to disable the rate limiting feature in my NTP server (sometimes its labeled as 'KOD packet', the NTP kiss of death packet). You may also try using a public NTP server that does not rate limit. Do you happen to be in GMT-8? That would explain the 8 hours off.
In case this gets lost in this long thread -- fibersnet's analysis and solution is correct for this issue. I independently came to the same conclusion by doing a packet capture on the camera's NTP traffic and noticing that the NTP server was responding with a KOD RATE packet for the spurious second NTP request when the camera time jumps by the UTC offset. It's likely a bug in the dahua camera firmware's NTP implementation. I'm wary of disabling this NTP server feature, but so far it has worked.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have 16 Dahua IPCs and all are perfectly time synced to the Blue Iris server. These are the settings I have used from the start and they have always worked flawlessly. Daylight Savings transitions are smooth and accurate.

Note I never want these IPCs to get to the internet so I always point them at my Ubiquiti router which hosts an ntp server.

View attachment 42898

1. what is the DST? Necessary when NTP is syn with router? If router has DST, and cams sync with router IP, DST doesnt need to be check?

2. If DST is to be checked, how do I set it, by writting the same days and time? I am on gmt -5, EST.

3. if it is just 1 hour difference, why not just set to GMT-6 instead of GMT -5? I mean that will solve all problems?

THanks

My router is Asus rt-68U

Gyula614

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I think eventually I've managed to figure it out. Was trying possible scenarios and combination of settings. Once after a fallback to factory defaults the camera became so slow for about 15 minutes that I thought it has to be replaced. But fortunately it has recovered eventually.

So, my finding is that the camera (5442) holds time and uses NTP, DST as it should, everything works fine IF it's not being used by an NVR.
As the NVR (Hik 7616) touches the camera then the camera time jumps ahead exactly by 1 hour. Very annoying.
The reason is that the NVR automatically updates the camera time on connection, and pretty regularly when online.
Upon update the NVR disables (unchecks) the camera's NTP, sets the camera's DST and timezone to match NVR's.

HOWEVER during THIS process the camera applies the amount of DST time correction TWICE. The DST is +one hour in my country and it's summer time, so the camera adds 2x1 hour that results in 1 hour ahead.
Consequently, in order to make the camera holding the 'correct' time the NVR's time must be set WITHOUT DST, because of the camera's buggy operation. The NTP can still be active in the NVR, but the timezone must be manually faked at every DST deadline.

My temporary solution is to disable the DST on my NVRs but set +1 hour timezone manually during summer time and setting the correct timezone during winter time.

Later I will try to set up a local time server that could somehow set the DST'd time without enabled DST on the NVR.
But the main thing is that this whole issue is because of the double application of DST time correction by the camera WHEN the time is set by the NVR automatically, that's pretty regular.
I don't have a Dahua NVR yet, but if the camera would work fine with that then I could imagine that this bug is intentionally kept by Dahua to force buying Dahua systems. :/

Cheers,
Gyula

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

y temporary solution is to disable the DST on my NVRs but set +1 hour timezone manually during summer time and setting the correct timezone during winter time. <------ This was the ONLY work around I could do to fix this issue years back. ;)

Cheers,
Gyula