Dahua cameras suddenly reporting "RTSP: 404 Not Found" in Blue Iris

ingenium

n3wb
Reaction score
I've started having a problem recently where 2 of my 3 Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 cameras report "RTSP: 404 Not Found" in Blue Iris. Generally Blue Iris will be able to pull one of the cameras up, and the other other almost immediately goes offline. They'll both stay offline for 5 minutes or so, then one of them comes up. Then whenever the other cameras comes up, the first one goes offline, before the second one going offline shortly thereafter. This cycles back and forth between the two cameras on each physical camera. It's been doing this for a few weeks now, and seems to primarily affect the main stream (substream usually loads most of the time, but it will also disconnect). I've restarted Windows, restarted and updated Blue Iris, restarted the cameras, powered the cameras off and left them for a bit. Nothing seems to work. My other IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 does not have this problem, nor does my Dahua SD59230U-HNI

Any suggestions? I can load the streams immediately and without issue in TinyCam. So this leads me to believe that it's a Blue Iris issue?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried moving the cameras to different switch ports (I assume you are using a PoE switch) and see if the issue is still there? Although it wouldn't make sense if the continued to work with TinyCam if it was a switch port problem.

Have you tried deleting the cameras from BI and re-adding them as new to see if its a configuration problem? What is the machine specs and CPU load when BI is running? Does it do it if you disable substreams on both camera and just use the main stream?

ingenium

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried moving the cameras to different switch ports (I assume you are using a PoE switch) and see if the issue is still there? Although it wouldn't make sense if the continued to work with TinyCam if it was a switch port problem.

Have you tried deleting the cameras from BI and re-adding them as new to see if its a configuration problem? What is the machine specs and CPU load when BI is running?
I haven't tried different switch ports, but logging into the switch it doesn't show any errors on those ports (Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch-48-500W). I haven't tried removing and re-adding the cameras yet. I've always had the 404 issue with the cameras when I make a change, but previously it would sort itself out and begin working within a minute or two.

Machine is Intel Xeon CPU E3-1245 v5 with 20 GB of RAM (25% used). CPU sits around 6-10% with Blue Iris running.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd move switch ports first since that is the easiest. If its still an issue then delete both cameras and add one at a time. See if you get the issue with just one of the cameras without using substreams. Test with mainstream first.

How are you adding the cameras in BI? You plug in the IP address and username/password and hit "Inspect"? You shouldn't get the 404 issue from that unless there is some networking issue or it can't find the RTSP stream from the IP you gave it for the camera. I've never had the "Inspection" fail to give me the right stream.

Do you have some elaborate VLAN/multiple subnet networking implemented?

ingenium

n3wb
Reaction score
The cameras are on a separate VLAN (the Windows computer has a NIC also on that VLAN). This setup has been working fine for a year and a half before it just stopped working properly maybe a month or so ago.

I actually just discovered that I can get it mostly stable if I disable the substreams on the problematic cameras. Or rather, for each physical unit (two cameras each), if I disable the substream on one of them, then they both begin working again. So it appears to be an issue that Blue Iris is having with both cameras having substreams. The odd thing is that the one working unit has substreams enabled on both cameras and doesn't have the issue at all. But the other two units can't have substreams enabled on both.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try turning off the graphics encoding for the cameras that you are having problems with, if you have it turned on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk