Dahua cams - moving my expenditure up a notch

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
hi there. Awesome forum and very helpful advice - really makes a difference. I could do with a bit of help though...

I have a domestic setup of around 11 cameras, a mix of vivotek (good but old school), dahua 3mm and 6mm and ptz:

SD22204-GT ptz - cheap and good image
HDW4331C - great image and cheap

I use these cameras with blue iris which is awesome - I love the programme and app.

I now want a ptz with better range to cover a garden that’s around 200ft long and 80ft wide. I would get another ptz as above but could do with IR and much better range.

As a result I started looking at the:

SD49225T-HN

Which is a big unit but has seems to have great ptz and range.

But I realised that it doesn’t have auto tracking which would be good if it works well. I then started using look at the better 4mp ptz with auto tracking:

SD50430U-HNI

I’ve gone from a £100 camera up to a £550 camera and maybe going too far (yep, based in the uk).

My questions are:

- is the larger ptz worth it for this size garden? Or is it better to get a number of the cheaper ptz SD22204-GT cameras and dot them around?

- is there such a big difference in quality and features between the SD49225T-HN and SD50430U-HNI? What is the physics size difference between them as this is a residential property and I don’t want it to look like Fort Knox

- can blue iris control the cheaper ptz camera and mimick autotracking by detecting movement and tracking it?

- does auto tracking work well with blue iris?

Sorry for all the questions but any help would be great. I’ve spent hours reviewing posts and have increased my budget massively based on helpful reviews, but want to make sure I’m doing the best thing before I bite the bullet.

One last question. If I bought the best dahua ptz, I’m assuming it should last, any big reliability issues that are known about?

Thanks so much in advance of any help.

Ta from the uk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The best choice is to buy SD49225T-HN, for SD50430U-HNI no IR light, so poor nightvison.
SD29204T-GN, use for a small area and not waterproof, only use indoor.

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
Great - I hadn’t appreciated that the more expensive intelligent version didn’t have ir.

Based on reviews here it certainly seem that the cheaper SD49225T-HN may actually be a better option. Not sure I need image stabilisation. But auto tracking. Would have been great if movement is detected. I guess this may be a feature that blue iris may introduce at some point and then control ptz through blue iris commands. Hopefully.

Anyone have experience with the dahua auto tracking and whether it’s any good?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you, don't buy a camera for the auto tracking, you will be disappointed with the performance. The IVS is great for finding things that you recorded but AT is hit or miss.

From my experience, auto track is about 70% accurate in daylight and about 20% or less at night, finding the target and following it using the rule setup.
The newer firmware that has intelligent track with no rule setup needed, seems to work a little better at tracking.

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
That's really interesting and great to know... I was primarily going for the more expensive camera for the 4Mp and auto-tracking. As the 2MP seems to be pretty good resolution anyway, I think that I will stick with the Dahua DH-SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network High Speed IP Dome Camera.

I am also keeping a looking at if Dahua will do a mini-size version of this camera at any point as the size puts me off some installation areas, but in the garden it will be fine. Thank you all for your help and any views on other experiences will be greatly appreciated. Particularly if anyone has had any sort of success with Auto-Tracking

Thanks all

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I can tell you, don't buy a camera for the auto tracking, you will be disappointed with the performance. The IVS is great for finding things that you recorded but AT is hit or miss.

From my experience, auto track is about 70% accurate in daylight and about 20% or less at night, finding the target and following it using the rule setup.
The newer firmware that has intelligent track with no rule setup needed, seems to work a little better at tracking.
But now dahua most cams support Auto tracking, for the SD59225U-HNI also very nice too. Sometimes the Tracking is as a hobby, actually these ptz is good enough for a big area watching. 49 is a lite model, 59 more powerful , PAN/TILT is faster than the 49 ones. You can watch the videos on the forum.

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
Very helpful. I have a mixed line up of one decent ptz out front and fixed cameras too. I will do something similar out back. One question as I’m confused by the vast line up of DAHUA cameras and the cost differences.

I can get:

Sd49225T-HN for £325
Sd59220T-HN jumps to £699
Sd50430u-HNI for £530

I think I understand the difference in price between the first and last ie upgrade to hni, but can’t figure out why the sd59220T-HN is £699 and if it is worth the additional cost.

I’m probably sticking with the Sd49225T-HN for £325, but before I purchase, are there any views on the differences and the prices?

Thanks in advance

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
also - I meant to ask, can the Sd49225T-HN be run just from POE, or does it need a separate power supply? I have a Netgear GS724TP which I think supports POE+

Thanks in advance

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
also - I meant to ask, can the Sd49225T-HN be run just from POE, or does it need a separate power supply? I have a Netgear GS724TP which I think supports POE+

Thanks in advance

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes it can use PoE +
Power = DC 12V/3A, PoE+ (802.3at)
Power Consumption = 13W,20W (IR on)

But your Netgear GS724TP does not have PoE+

"For example the NETGEAR GS724TP has 24 PoE ports, but a power budget of only 192watts. At 15watts per PD, only the first 12 PD's that connect will get power."

Last edited:

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
That’s good to know - I thought it had Poe+. Bit annoying if not. I will have to look at a poe+ pack or install power nearby. Not a big hassle but would have loved to just have a cat 6 cable direct to it. Oh well.

Think I am set for this camera unless there are any other views. Thanks everyone for your help and hopefully I can source one at a good price in the uk / from eBay. Ta

Glassdome

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven’t yet but will do. I’ve also found a cheaper source here too, but will certainly drop him a note to see what he can offer. Sincere thanks.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"For example the NETGEAR GS724TP has 24 PoE ports, but a power budget of only 192watts. At 15watts per PD, only the first 12 PD's that connect will get power."
I have just purchased a used Netgear GS724TP, I am only going to run 12 cameras or less and they aren't chosen yet.

If I want to run some POE+ cameras would I be able to?

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bollocks to my recent purchase, fans don't work. I've been had.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk