Dahua choppy playback: possible reasons

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have seen choppy playback on my Dahua IPC-HF5421E. This is not a network bandwidth problem as it also appears on downloaded files, not just streamed. I'm still testing but this appears to be an internal codec issue. I suspect that there are some allowed resolution and bitrate settings (I'm using H.264, CBR) for which the codec will sometimes generate invalid output frames, causing the player to either freeze for some number of frames, or produce glitchy images that look similar to network dropout.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Max recording on that camera is 20fps@4M(2688×1520)

What NVR are you using, model number? What computer are you using for playback? How are your computer resources during playback? What app are you using to payback the recorded files?

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am not using a NVR at all, only recording to internal SD card. My first thought was that the card was too slow. But my observation is the problem happened even at 10 fps H.264 and CBR at 6000 kbps bitrate. Then I changed to 20 fps H.264H and VBR with max bitrate (as I recall near 10000 kbps) and haven't seen the problem come back.

If the root cause was a slow SD card, I would think increasing the bitrate would make the problem worse, not better. I had the same results both playing back saved images from the camera in the MSIE plugin, and also downloading files and playing them with VLC on my Win10 laptop. The glitch part of the video looks the same even played back frame-by-frame in VLC so it isn't a CPU speed issue, and VLC does not have a problem playing 4Mpixel 20 fps H.264 video files downloaded from my Hikvision camera.

Prosertis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi cam235, have you solve your problem with the shoppy on the Dahua IPC-HF5421E ? I have the same problem with a lot of same camera, even on VLC or any other player...

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I suspect there is a firmware issue on that model with some bitrate & codec settings, or maybe some interaction with internal motion event detection while also streaming, but I am not sure. I have since given up on SD card recording completely, and just stream H.264 to a remote Linux box (Bluecherry DVR). That has been working OK the past year.