Dahua DB11 Summary - is this best doorbell for now?

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
2 way audio in BI worked for me out of the box. I'm using the following settings:

View attachment 46340
hmmmmm, before I used Dahua under make. Of course was not working, changed it to what you set and nothing. I hit the mic button in the App, it’s green but the doorbell doesn’t output anything.

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
My requirements for a doorbell are probably pretty similar to what most people here are looking for: good visual quality, low light performance, mechanical chime support, POE, wifi optional, RSTP support for BI, open API, not cloud dependent (not ring/nest/most others), easy to install, reasonable price (not doorbird, not ring elite), bonus: NFC reader for hands free unlock. Small list, i know.

Nothing standout seems to exist yet, but thanks to the community here, I came across the Dahua DB-11. It's far from perfect and doesn't meet ALL my requirements, but its pretty close and works well enough for my needs now. Info on the DB-11 is fragmented into lots of different threads, so I wanted to summarize and share my findings here:

Install - THIS WAS TERRIBLY IRRITATING. The recommended install method doesn't work because the serial numbers are mismatched. Someone at the factory mixed up all the labels. In the imou app, choose "enter serial number manually" and use the serial number broadcast in the camera's wifi name.
Visual quality - Some artifacts, but overall pretty good. 2MP resolution.
Viewing angle - 140°. A bit too narrow for my application, but ok.
Power - This doorbell does not support POE. However, it does take 12V DC! If you have a POE run to the location, you can use a POE splitter such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPWW2UV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or for something cheaper, more compact, a buck converter board to step down the voltage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ0SC2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. However, downside to this method is hardwired traditional chimes will not work. For AC power, at least 30VA transformer is recommended.
Mechanical chimes - Using a traditional chime requires configuration in the imou app. Users report mechanical chime rings a bunch of times per door press.
Wireless chime - Dahua DS11 can be paired as a wireless option. Reportedly works via wifi - untested.
Configuration - Can be configured through Dahua ConfigTool on PC or imou app. Configuration options are severely limited.
Lens condensation - My camera came with condensation on the lens. Dried it out with a blowdryer and it's been fine for now (about a week so far). This camera is IP55 rated, which means it's weather resistant, but not as waterproof as other Dahua models.

BlueIris - Use your DB11's IP address and auto scan for install. Defaults to RTSP stream on port 554. Username is admin - password is the one you set in setup
Mounting brackets - Ring Pro brackets are the closest size
2 way voice - I have not tested this so far. imou app supports it. User reports say voice works in BI as well, but volume can be low - unconfirmed.
Storage - Specs say 64GB, but only microsd cards 32GB or lower, formatted at FAT32 work for now.
Triggers - Currently there are two triggers supported: 1) doorbell press 2) motion detection via PIR - PIR range is configurable in imou. I have not confirmed if this is a real PIR or software-based, but so far, I have not gotten a lot of false positives in my environment.
Viewing - An SD card is required to view triggers (doorbell, motion) in the imou app if you are not using Dahua's cloud service For me, viewing recorded videos in imou is really slow. A workaround for this is to simply use blueiris where viewing is much faster, but currently there is no way to trigger doorbell pushes or other actions to blueiris.
API access - None known for now (does anyone know if you can access doorbell events?)
Event Integration - See API access above. However, they currently advertise support for IFTT through the imou app, so you could feasibly do something such as "sound alert on Echo/Google Home" when doorbell rings. - untested

I ordered the doorbell a couple months ago but didn't have a chance to install until recently. Thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY for the great service!

EDIT: Aug 2019
After using this doorbell for almost 6 months, here are my follow up thoughts. The new gadget excitement has kind of worn off, so I can give a more objective perspective.

Performance (visual quality) - Performance is good, but not great. The image quality has room to be better.

It might not be fair to compare the image quality to a standalone turret or bullet, and I'm sure this probably has to do with the fact that they have to send the signal wirelessly, while still keeping everything in a relatively compact package, but I do notice artifacts, softness, and some blurriness in the video.

Low light performance really isn't good, but I guess that's to be expected. I do wish there were ways to tune settings such as backlight, B&W, and IR filters like other Dahua cams. For now, you're pretty much stuck with the automatic settings from the factory.

Connectivity - The network connectivity has been very stable, no problems after setup.

Chime and Event Integration - Thanks to ideas from other people here, I was able to hack the doorbell to connect to my home automation system. I don't have a chime, but instead, the doorbell now plays an audio alert to the Amazon Echos while also sending a animated GIF image notification to our phones. This is very case specific though, so YMMV.

Details here: Dahua DB-11 DoorBell and DSC 1832 Powerseries Alarm Integration

Storage - I wound up throwing an SD card in there and used it for a while with no problems.

Lens condensation - Has not been an issue since clearing it the first time, but that's probably because weather out here has been dry.

Overall - I'd rate this a 3/5. For the price, it's not a bad choice. Especially considering there are still a lack of good options for ONVIF capable doorbell cameras in the market. The HSDB2A seems to be the closest competitor. The things I'd like to see improved are: ethernet connectivity (POE), better image quality, the ability to tune the image for individual environments.

Hi thanks for the detailed review,

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the detailed review, im trying to decide between this and the skybell HD, the DB11 being half the price, skybell hd $212 and DB11 $111 , i dont live in the US so these are the prices im getting.
I was leaning towards skybell for ease of use and reliable phone notification, but i dont like the fact that it turns on a light at night when viewing the stream. Which one would you suggest?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hmmmmm, before I used Dahua under make. Of course was not working, changed it to what you set and nothing. I hit the mic button in the App, it’s green but the doorbell doesn’t output anything.
Weird. I'll see if I can find another setting which was changed.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the detailed review, im trying to decide between this and the skybell HD, the DB11 being half the price, skybell hd $212 and DB11 $111 , i dont live in the US so these are the prices im getting.
I was leaning towards skybell for ease of use and reliable phone notification, but i dont like the fact that it turns on a light at night when viewing the stream. Which one would you suggest?
Sorry, I've never used the skybell firsthand, so i can't say which is better. It does not support ONVIF or RTSP which was a must for me, so I did not consider it.

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i had the sky bell hd before I bought the db11. Skybell had permanent issues with WiFi signal strength, so most of the time when someone rang the bell I couldn’t connect to it using the app (that made the doorbell basically useless). No network issues with the db11. Then after a year the battery of the sky bell swell and warped the backside which caused that the connectors didn’t make contact with the wires. That was the point I threw the sky bell in the trash. DB11 works well with their app and I have it connected to BI. Working on getting the 2-way Audio to work within the BI iOS app, if I get that to work the DB11 is perfect. The only annoying thing is that the DB11 is sending the ring signal 10times to your house door bell. So you Bell at Home will ring 10 freaking times with one press. But there are solution here in the forum to fix that.

Last edited:

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Weird. I'll see if I can find another setting which was changed.
Did you try it from computer or iOS App ? I didn't try from computer yet, BI iOS app when I push the mic button and release I see for a split second that the phone reports the mic is being used by the BI app but nothing comes out. Maybe its an issue with the iOS app. Will try from computer now.

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you try it from computer or iOS App ? I didn't try from computer yet, BI iOS app when I push the mic button and release I see for a split second that the phone reports the mic is being used by the BI app but nothing comes out. Maybe its an issue with the iOS app. Will try from computer now.
Tested with mic on computer, that works. But I need to get it work with the iOS app :-(

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tested with mic on computer, that works. But I need to get it work with the iOS app :-(
It might just be the iOS version of BI. I just tested on PC and android. Mic is working, although I haven't actually had a need to talk to anyone yet

admiami

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Supre, Regarding 2 way audio, any problem with loop echo-feedback? Dumb question, but..is the Blue Iris setup whats gives audio 2 way on the computer?
Ill really appreciate any answers.

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Supre, Regarding 2 way audio, any problem with loop echo-feedback? Dumb question, but..is the Blue Iris setup whats gives audio 2 way on the computer?
Ill really appreciate any answers.
Didn’t experience any loop back when using the computer to speak to the cam, seemed to be pretty loud coming out of the cam. For the iOS app it’s still not working, nothing comes out of the cam. And I found socket errors when pushing the mic button in the iOS app. I’m working with Ken from BI at the moment to figure out what the problem is (already tried w/o firewall on BI server and Router).

admiami

n3wb
Reaction score
But...have you tried 2 way , like talking from the computer to the cam, and to the cam to the computer simultaneously? That's when feedback - echo loop, happens.

supre

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I didn’t since that’s not really how I set it up. BI server is hidden.

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So this doesn't support wired Ethernet connectivity, correct?
My use case is a driveway gate where there's no WI-FI.
Can you recommend a door bell that works over Ethernet cable, ideally PoE.
TIA

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
So this doesn't support wired Ethernet connectivity, correct?
My use case is a driveway gate where there's no WI-FI.
Can you recommend a door bell that works over Ethernet cable, ideally PoE.
TIA
There is the Yosee (check the thread on this) its POE, but passive, so you will have to use an inline 48v to 24v adapter.

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
How can this be the best option when no one has figured out how to stop making the doorbell ring 10 times on each button press?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How can this be the best option when no one has figured out how to stop making the doorbell ring 10 times on each button press?
It probably isn't.
The solution to multiple rings is to change the chime to electronic mode in the app settings

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Based on reports from others, yes.

I do not have a mechanical chime, so I cannot verify this.