Dahua DB6I / EmpireTec Model DB5X - 5MP Doorbell Initial Unboxing / Findings / Tips & Tricks / Comparison Video

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Juts re-read this.

Can't you use the Unfi in Standalone mode with eg a blue iris server?

I'm sure I read this somewhere recently.
The problem is you have to setup the doorbell first to enable the RTSP stream and then parse that into your NVR/NVR platform of choice. Whether that changes with the new (currently in Early Access) G4 Pro that was just announced I don't know BUT with the original G4 doorbell here, the requirement still seems to be on using the UNVR/UDMP/CloudKey Gen 2 etc with Protect to setup then enable the stream and pick that stream up as you wish elsewhere.

Reaction score
Hi, that was a great review above. I just purchased the Dahua DB6I 2022 version and I have to say the setup was easy enough but for an EU this would be difficult. After bench setting up and running through the features. Getting it on my network (for testing) prior to install. Something happened when I pressed the doorbell button and it rang my phone caller ID showed DMSS and I answered the call. The next thing that happened was the DMSS app video opened and then froze. The doorbell light turned off and never turned back on.
Wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? I plan to bring back to Distro branch.

Attachments

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, that was a great review above. I just purchased the Dahua DB6I 2022 version and I have to say the setup was easy enough but for an EU this would be difficult. After bench setting up and running through the features. Getting it on my network (for testing) prior to install. Something happened when I pressed the doorbell button and it rang my phone caller ID showed DMSS and I answered the call. The next thing that happened was the DMSS app video opened and then froze. The doorbell light turned off and never turned back on.
Wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? I plan to bring back to Distro branch.
Most likely you connected the doorbell on your bench and told it a chime was connected. You should never under any circumstances do that with this doorbell, as doing so will cause it to burn out its internal power supply the first time you press the doorbell button. If you hook it up without a chime and tell it in the setup process that it has one, it is guaranteed to burn it out.
That said, after burning out two of these while having them hooked up correctly through a chime, I don't trust them that way either. And I've ended up disabling the internal relay, and having my home automation system listen for button press events and trigger a relay on my chime instead.
At this point you likely have two choices, either power it through the USB port, or return it and try to get a new one.

Reaction score
Yes, I believe I did select Mechanical during the setup. Not thinking mechanical or electrical selection would matter. I had neither and just clicked Next on the setup.. So an internal battery burnt and the trigger was pushing the button. Wow that sucks, nice Dahua. I don’t think USB is an option for the application., So that explain why trying 12VDC, 24VDC both failed afterwards as well.

Attachments

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I believe I did select Mechanical during the setup. Not thinking mechanical or electrical selection would matter. I had neither and just clicked Next on the setup.. So an internal battery burnt and the trigger was pushing the button. Wow that sucks, nice Dahua. I don’t think USB is an option for the application., So that explain why trying 12VDC, 24VDC both failed afterwards as well.
Hidden at the bottom of that screen in tiny letters is the option to skip instead of choosing either mechanical or digital. If you choose skip the doorbell will be set up to work properly on a bench without any chime connected. As I said earlier, in proper operation connected to an actual chime, I still strongly recommend choosing that skip option and finding another way to ring the chime. The power supplies in these doorbells are unacceptable fragile, and there's really no excuse for the product being shipped in this state.

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I assume powering up in usb form and changing the setup or defaulting wouldn’t make a difference.
Too late for that now. You've burnt out the power supply already. The USB plug bypasses the internal power supply so you'll be able to boot it up that way, but there's no way of recovering the other power supply without some electronics knowledge, and disassembly.

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks what Voltage USB would you suggest if I have to use that option. Thanks for all the info aswell. I’ve used Dahua for almost 20 yrs now and not surprised at their little/huge blunders.
Just a standard basic USB. The normal 5 volt version. It's not using any of the fancy high power protocols