Dahua DH-DB6I Video Doorbell Has Lost Chime?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My DH-DB6I video doorbell has been working fine with a mechanical chime for about 18 months. The video stream still works with Blue Iris 5. But recently the mechanical chime no longer dings when the doorbell button is pushed. The doorbell is obviously still getting power from the 24 VAC transformer. I installed the included Dahua "power kit for chime", "referred to as a Chime Kit in QSG", when I first installed the doorbell. I'm not sure what this little device is, perhaps a capacitor? Do you think that part may have failed? Or what else might be the problem? I can't find a part number for the extra device anywhere. Thanks.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Lorex doorbell camera but it may be similar to yours. First thing to do is verify in the app that the doorbell is set to "Mechanical" since it could have somehow changed. Secondly, make sure the doorbell works in stand alone mode, meaning without the doorbell camera or chime kit installed. I ended up replacing my original nuTone doorbell and installed a larger transformer. There seems to be a lot of compatibility issues between these doorbell cameras and various manufacturers of doorbells. I'm not sure what the chime kit does, but I do know from personal experience that your doorbell camera will be damaged if you run without it. My nuTone doorbell wouldn't chime and Lorex tech support told me to remove the chime kit and when I did the doorbell sort of worked, but the camera got damaged in the process so Lorex replaced it under warranty.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DMSS app still shows the mechanical chime option selected. I guess I'll have to remove the Dahua and power kit for chime in order to just test the mechanical chime with a normal doorbell button.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DMSS app still shows the mechanical chime option selected. I guess I'll have to remove the Dahua and power kit for chime in order to just test the mechanical chime with a normal doorbell button.
Yes....start with the basics. It could be that your transformer was a bit under powered from the beginning and worked fine for 18 months but has now weakened. See if your doorbell is listed on the compatibility list or call the doorbell camera manufacturer support line and ask them. This is the transformer I bought and it's been working fine with my doorbell and Lorex doorbell camera setup. T1630 Craftmade 16V 30W Doorbell Transformer

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I've narrowed the problem down to a failed "ChimeKit". Hard reset didn't help. When I remove the doorbell completely and just short the two wires from the transformer, the mechanical chime dings normally. When the doorbell is hooked up, it rings my phone and is providing a normal video image to Blue Iris. Now the problem is that there is no part number for the ChimeKit. I can't find it anywhere on the internet to replace. Any ideas, or am I stuck buying a new doorbell just to get the ChimeKit? Also, I could purchase a wireless digital chime to pair with the doorbell, but I don't know if the ChimeKit is needed for all chimes or just a mechanical chime. Please advise.

Attachments

ramblinman

n3wb
Reaction score
Bump. Is the ChimeKit needed for all chimes or just a mechanical chime?
The Chime kit is not needed for the digital chime. I purchased IMOU chime on ali express as it was the only one I could find, and it works with the dahua doorbell. However, I would say 90% of the time when the doorbell is pressed nothing happens. My app doesn't notify me, there is no chime, etc. My wife is so fed up with guests standing there and us not knowing about it, and honestly I am too. The worst part is, everything else on the doorbell is great. The video quality is there, and no recording issues. I can watch back the recordings of someone pressing the doorbell even. I have reworked so many aspects of my network to see what is going on, but I think it is something to do with the cloud and is out of my hands.