Dahua dome on a direct rain mount sealing

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hallo I would like to get a little help to seal IPCs cables in high humidity or outdoor environment. I am asking about Dahua, but it might apply to all of dome IPC.

Basically, the IPC by itself is IP67. But there is a cable out of it, and it has a lot of ends. One of them is LAN and there is so called “waterproof seal” in the packaging. I have got not a good experience with the seal as it tends to be struggling on different UPT thickness. Even if the seal works and IPC was IP67 there is a lot of IO ends and external power connector nobody thinks about much.

I would like to ask about IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE in outside environment – direct rain. It is IP67 glass dome. Just from the catalogue it seams that the only outdoor solution is PFA123. But on a pole rack PFA152-E the IPC would be positioned vertically … I would prefer horizontal position for a better view.

I thought about using PFB203W on a wall directly or on PFA152-E pole mounting. And then use silicone to prevent rain inside. Would that work?

So, the question is: Do you guys use there little dome IPC outside and how do you deal with mounting?

Any help would be appreciated.mounts.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even with a box, which is the "right" way to do it, use some self vulcanizing rubber tape over coax seal or duct seal. Also use some dielectric grease, just a little dab, directly on the RJ connector no matter what method of weatherproofing you choose.

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even with a box, which is the "right" way to do it, use some self vulcanizing rubber tape over coax seal or duct seal. Also use some dielectric grease, just a little dab, directly on the RJ connector no matter what method of weatherproofing you choose.
Thank you It just seems to be odd that they build IP67 cameras, they add a "waterproof" shell for the LAN connector but at the same time dont provide solution to cover all the rest of cables (IO ports, audio, DC IN, ...).

What good is the waterproof LAN shell when the rest of cables stays in the air? I thought that there might be a hack for it. That is why I asked.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no "good" waterproof seal for an RJ45 connector that I am aware of. That's why I mentioned self vulcanizing tape, coax seal and duct seal. The "professional" method is to use an appropriate mounting box to maintain weatherproofing. Even then, water can get into things so actually sealing the connection with a conformal material is key. The dielectric grease helps even if water does, somehow, get in.