Dahua DVR/Cams - Night time motion detection and bugs!

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
So - still struggling... threshold at 20, sensitivity at 65, dither at 10 and still averaging about 5 false alarms due to bug movement per cam... Is perfection possible or do we at some point settle - have to keep playing with the settings more with human motion I know... Any thoughts?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using motion detection or IVS? IVS lets you set min/max object sizes that can help filter out small things and large things, like a bug crawling across the lens.

But yes, at some point you end up settling.

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using motion detection or IVS?
Well, wasn't using IVS but am doing it as we speak. My cams are in well defined locations relative to windows and doors, so the tripwire vs intrusion IVS alerts will give me plenty to play with. Just wanted to make sure I am going in the right direction as we speak...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One thing that wasn’t obvious to me regarding tripwire/intrusion is that tripwires placed near the edges of the images aren’t always the best at detecting objects that walk in from the side. Reason being, it may take the camera a second or two to notice the movement, and by the time it gets identified as an object, it may have already crossed the tripwire (so it won’t count). Intrusion boxes with both “appears” and “enters” will cover that situation.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got a camera in the back that's challenging, because of the trees. Foliage + bright sunlight + wind = lots of false triggers on high-contrast shadows moving around a lot. I'm now up to three detection zones on that one and I think I'm pretty close to "ok."

Earlier this evening I was getting a bunch of bug hits on little bugs flying through the most sensitive of the zones with the lowest threshold: 60 and 9, respectively. I turned the sensitivity down to 50 and that stopped. I'll do a walk test tomorrow to see if it still fires on people-sized objects.

The really big bugs that fly right in front of the camera you can't do much about. Had a moth fly right into that camera, earlier this evening, and leave moth dust on the lens, which drove the exposure compensation a little wonky.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Spiders building webs are near impossible too. Which I seem to get a lot of for whatever reason. They're up and down and across and big and bright enough to trigger most anything that you lay out. Short of just moving the IR off somewhere else not sure what can be done about those.

Xenon54

n3wb
Reaction score
Thinking out loud here, this seems like a problem that the new AI tech could solve. Given enough footage it should be possible to train an ML algorithm to reliably identify flying bugs / spiders (especially under IR light) and then ignore them for motion detect. It's easy for a human to do visually so it seems achievable for AI. It could even email you alerts like "Yo! go clean your camera there's a web across the lens again".

Pantheon

n3wb
Reaction score
I am getting bug hits as well. Does adjusting sensitivity help? If so, how do I do that? I could not find sensitivity settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting bug hits as well. Does adjusting sensitivity help? If so, how do I do that? I could not find sensitivity settings.
Adjusting the sensitivity can help, but not all models have that adjustment.