Dahua has joined the LPR game

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i seen that on there a while back; still no model numbers or specs..

I am interested; ive got a great view because the road curves away right after my house and I can easily catch vehicles straight on.. but this will be a project way in the future so hopefully the'll have something on the market by then.

I was thinking a IPC-HFW5100-IRA w/7-22mm Vari would make a great LPR camera w/HLC enabled..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
from my understanding you typically dont want or need a high mpix camera for ALPR, ie, getting OpenALPR to process 1.3MP images in real time is going to take much less processing power than a 5MP.. more than likely the D1 substream would be plenty adequate for getting plates... and since the exposure, focus, etc all have to be setup specifically for LPR using the camera as a normal security camera isint really usefull so its likely nothing would ever be watching the 5MP stream.. Also keep in mind my LPR camera is going to need to run at 30-60fps if I want to catch asshats speeding thru the neighborhood at 50mph... so whatever server I setup to process ALPR and record em into database is going to need to be pretty beefy just for SD Video.

I also have the problem that the curve is quite a distance away.. ~150-200ft so imna need a hell of a zoom.. proabibly like 75-100mm; so that 1.3 aint gona work either... I dunno what Imna do; or even if I am going to do it... but I am keen on having a database with license plates and time stamps

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if you were running LPR software or just recording. I agree if your running the software, keep the resolution lower for it to process, but if your just going to an NVR and recording license plates with one camera, and general area with another, than it's safe to use a higher megapixel camera for just the plates. If you need something with crazy zoom, than you might want a PTZ. Or, set up a wifi bridge and install the camera closer to your object.