Dahua HDD Question (NVR5208-8P-4KS2)

chrisjcbt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 NVR. From what I have read in the manual, this supports two internal disks, but not using a RAID configuration. I have 4 x IPC-HDW5831R-ZE Cameras (8MP) plugged into the NVR and need to make a decision around the hard drives for this NVR.

Assuming top-res (H264), storing 7 days of footage @ 20fps. I'm fairly sure I need no more than 8TB. Can I ask for your help with the following....

1. Can anyone recommend a good NVR HDD calculator? I've tried 6 and got wildly differing values, from 3.8TB up to 8TB. I am specifying the same assumptions and would like to go for the smaller disks if possible!

2. For the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 NVR, can I put 2 x 4TB disks in, and then have 2 cameras feed to one disk, and the other two feed to the other disk? That way I can buy 2 x 4TB disks, which is cheaper than 1 x 8TB.

Thanks,
Chris

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi there,

within Dahua toolbox, there is a disk calculator (https://dahuawiki.com/Software/Disk_Calculator). But many parameters define your netto disk space, like fps, VBR or CBR, the value of the previous, codec etc etc. And even then, you can enable add'l features like snapshots which will in the end also eat up all your diskspace.

My 5216 has also 2 disk capability, but indeed, RAID is not possible. So when adding disks, you put them into a "group" (some kind of logical volume). Then you can define which camera records to which group.

One side remark: there are advantages by "splitting" the critical mass over two disks, so with 1x8TB crashing, you loose everything, however buying 2x4TB from one single batch (from 1 shop) increases the chances of having an identical MTTF...