Dahua HDW4300C firmware update failure

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 HDW4300C cameras. One made in 2014 and one recently purchased made in 2015. The 2014 camera will accept any firmware update file and flashes no problem. The 2015 camera will not update no matter which firmware file is used (NTSC or PAL). It simply says "file mismatch upgrade failed". After the error it simply reboots and restores the original firmware version.

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to figure out why some won't upgrade?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well at least it's not bricking it.

AFAIK there is only one version of HDW4300C (unlike HFW4300).

What firmware are you trying to upload? And how? What version is already on there?

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well at least it's not bricking it.

AFAIK there is only one version of HDW4300C (unlike HFW4300).

What firmware are you trying to upload? And how? What version is already on there?
The current firmware is 2.420.0004.0.R, build : 2014-11-03

I have tried several different newer versions and have attempted update using port 3800 on the config tool in addition to the web interface:
On the older 2014 camera any of these will flash fine.

General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0005.0.R.20141205.bin
DH_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0009.0.R.20151106.bin
DH_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0006.0.R.20150311.bin
General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.420.0007.0.R.20150409.bin
General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_N_Stream3_v2.420.0008.0.R.20150710.bin
General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0009.0.R.20151106.bin

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can try my camera later. It's only covering my back garden but I'd rather not brick it!

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can try my camera later. It's only covering my back garden but I'd rather not brick it!
I appreciate the assistance. Don't brick your camera on my account! :)

The older firmware works fine on this newer camera, but I noticed the newer firmware (post 2015) on my older camera helped audio quality and volume and in one case widened the 1080p viewing angle slightly (maybe reduced some cropping?). I would love to get that with my newer camera but can live with the older firmware version if I have to. I wish I knew why the heck it rejects every file.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I appreciate the assistance. Don't brick your camera on my account! :)

The older firmware works fine on this newer camera, but I noticed the newer firmware (post 2015) on my older camera helped audio quality and volume and in one case widened the 1080p viewing angle slightly (maybe reduced some cropping?). I would love to get that with my newer camera but can live with the older firmware version if I have to. I wish I knew why the heck it rejects every file.
I have no idea how to do it, so I want to learn anyway. And one day, maybe I'll be able to help someone else if I know how.

hotlink

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am also having issues upgrading the firmware on several versions of both IPC-HDB4300C an IPC-HFW4300S. Some of mine upgrade perfectly, and others bomb out as EMC states. If anyone finds the solution, please share!

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same problem, my HDB4300C updates properly, but web interface still doesn't come on, and open ports are only 23 ad 3800 where I'm upgrading from configtool.
Looks like my language flag is missing from the chip, and sonia can't start. None of the firmwares work for me. Any suggestions?

JohnZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I joined here because Im having the same problems..
Im in the process of downloading and trying multiple things.. Configtool seems to play a big part

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I joined here because Im having the same problems..
Im in the process of downloading and trying multiple things.. Configtool seems to play a big part
I think we need a linux guru that could somehow watch what is going on during the upgrade process to find the error in whatever scripting language Dahua is using. I wonder if the error gets logged in a file somewhere with more detail. I have just given up on upgrading that particular camera.

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think we need a linux guru that could somehow watch what is going on during the upgrade process to find the error in whatever scripting language Dahua is using. I wonder if the error gets logged in a file somewhere with more detail. I have just given up on upgrading that particular camera.
Well for me, what I can see from the output is this:
Code:
System has no SupportLanguages
- then sonia doesn't start because it can't copy the language file to wherever it needs to - seems like the region chip is empty?!

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well for me, what I can see from the output is this:
Code:
- then sonia doesn't start because it can't copy the language file to wherever it needs to - seems like the region chip is empty?!
Strange! I wonder if the upgrade script could be modified to bypass the support languages error check. Assuming Dahua is using some standard shell scripting language on linux for upgrade functionality.

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Strange! I wonder if the upgrade script could be modified to bypass the support languages error check. Assuming Dahua is using some standard shell scripting language on linux for upgrade functionality.
It is possilbe - seems like they have deleted the region to let their firmware install on it.. anyway someone told me he could do it but he doesn't have time for me (would take a day or two)..
@EMC if you are using a Chinese market only it has been modified by the reseller for getting english support. These cams need a modified patched firmware.
Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware
I didn't have time to look into this, but I think that has to be the solution

Added: I will try to sort this out in the next few weeks (right now I'm really busy) - will update as soon as there is any good news

Last edited:
Reactions: EMC

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is possilbe - seems like they have deleted the region to let their firmware install on it.. anyway someone told me he could do it but he doesn't have time for me (would take a day or two)..

I didn't have time to look into this, but I think that has to be the solution

Added: I will try to sort this out in the next few weeks (right now I'm really busy) - will update as soon as there is any good news
Couldn't get far yet, with missing dependency 'cramfsck'.

Anyway, I've found a firmware with the date 2013 08 and we're on halfway!
Can see in configtool, however, can't modify the parameters. It might be wrong port, I'm assuming that 37777 is not open, and web interface is not coming up either.
Sonia is working on it! I can even login to the "admin interface" in telnet with admin admin. Everything else seems ok, btw the version of the cam shows 0.0.0.0 while other working cams show nothing.
It seems like sonia doesn't work with the eth0 address? Looks like something is not running..
Code:
~ # netstat -a -p
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 (null):49152            (null):*                LISTEN      904/sonia
tcp        0      0 (null):42323            (null):*                LISTEN      904/sonia
tcp        0      0 (null):3800             (null):*                LISTEN      854/upgraded
tcp        0      0 :::telnet               :::*                    LISTEN      790/telnetd
tcp        0    339 (null):telnet           (null):51216            ESTABLISHED 790/telnetd
tcp        0      6 (null):telnet           (null):51195            ESTABLISHED 790/telnetd
udp        0      0 (null):39210            (null):*                            904/sonia
udp        0      0 (null):1900             (null):*                            904/sonia
udp        0      0 (null):37810            (null):*                            904/sonia
udp        0      0 (null):37810            (null):*                            904/sonia
udp        0      0 (null):38846            (null):*                            904/sonia
udp        0      0 (null):5353             (null):*                            904/sonia
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node PID/Program name    Path
Anyt thoughts? @EMC

Last edited:

strat

n3wb
Reaction score
anyone work out why these were failing on update.. getting the same message on 3 x HDW4300C

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyone work out why these were failing on update.. getting the same message on 3 x HDW4300C
Still stuck with:
Code:
But from my experience is that you have to try as many fw-s as possible and one should work. I have a ton of them, do you want to try them 1 by 1 or you got already most?

strat

n3wb
Reaction score
I could give it a try.. do you have them hosted somewhere?

I am currently on 2.420 which i updated myself about 1 year ago which i found online.. now since dahua publishes firmware online (finally) I am trying to load "DH_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0009.0.R.20151106"

which i downloaded directly from dahua/au website here

These are not chinese versions and are full international english cams.

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I have all kind of English firmwares, NTSC, PAL, some different models too, here's a link for it. However, still double check which one you want to try. Anyway the camera doesn't let you do one which does not match the camera. But no responsibility from me :)
Dahua