Dahua HDW4431C

Gdurham

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking into cameras for my house, originally I was looking at the hik 2342, and now looking at the Dahua HDW4431C.

Is there any performance difference between this and the hik?
Is there anything I should be concerned about with these not having metal bases?
Is this a good seller, http://goo.gl/DE4uNg
Can I configure/access these cameras from a mac?

Completely unrelated, when would a PTZ be useful, ive seen in a number of places on this forum that people say they are gimmicky, just would like to know if there is a time and place for them, for instance, would they be good if you need to cover two entrances (an alley way and access to door ways) and use triggers on the door to tell the PTZ to look there?

When does a verifocal/motorized lens become useful?

Thank you so much!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. To save space I have colored your questions instead of "quoting" them.

Is there any performance difference between this and the hik?
Not a lot.

Is there anything I should be concerned about with these not having metal bases?
It hasn't been a problem for me.

Is this a good seller, http://goo.gl/DE4uNg
Yes, that is the seller I prefer.

Can I configure/access these cameras from a mac?
Yes. I'm not sure if you can view video in their web interfaces from a mac but you can certainly configure them, and use Dahua PSS software to view/configure.

Completely unrelated, when would a PTZ be useful, ive seen in a number of places on this forum that people say they are gimmicky, just would like to know if there is a time and place for them, for instance, would they be good if you need to cover two entrances (an alley way and access to door ways) and use triggers on the door to tell the PTZ to look there?

In my experience, PTZs are mostly a toy. Sure you can trigger them to point where the action is, but usually for the same or less money you could just install several fixed cameras to monitor those locations continuously. The one thing PTZs do a lot better than fixed cameras is zoom. If you need a whole lot of zoom, a PTZ camera can deliver that where it would be a serious challenge to find a good fixed camera with an equivalent amount of zoom.

When does a verifocal/motorized lens become useful?

At installation time, mostly. This is so you can fine-tune the best field of view without having to guess at which lens size you should buy. Motorized varifocal can be controlled remotely but usually you won't bother.

Gdurham

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a good recommendation on a NVR for these, I will be using the nvr in a remote location, and blue iris locally (2 different locations) I assume purchasing dahua is recommended due to the difference in ONVIF support?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4-channel 4104
8-channel 4108
16-channel 4216
4K - 4208-4K or 4216-4K (wouldn't get that with these cameras)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should add that my sister has NVR-4208-8P-4K and that's what I will do if any of my Hikvision stuff goes kaboom.

Reaction score
I'm looking at the same cameras with the NVR-4208-8P-4K NVR from the seller linked above. Maybe a dumb question but what is the selection for horizontal resolution for? I'm in the US so I would select NTSC for signal but not sure what the resolution selection is for as it is listed as a 4mp camera. Also, how do you select focal length? I'd like a couple wide angles 2.8mm and probably a couple medium 6mm cameras.

Where red is a good place to buy the NVR?

Reaction score
Yep, right there in bold red letters! Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

any idea of a good place to buy the DVR?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whomever has it cheapest shipped, this is Ali.. once the product is in your hands the transaction is done, its not like customer service is important when its non existant.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
PTZs aren't gimmicks. Outdoor tracking on motion is the gimmick. The real usefulness of a PTZ for a homeowner comes when you're either using it live or, say, you park your car at a bit of a distance in different places. Alarm triggered zooming to a preset can also be quite useful. They're an addition to fixed cams, not a replacement for them.

Gdurham

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to upgrade mine from aliexpress either. The good news is you aren't likely to brick it if you try. My cameras just rejected the firmware image. It is important to note, there was nothing wrong with mine on their original firmware. I just had been told that newer firmware enabled a slightly higher video resolution and I wanted to try it (but couldn't, obviously).

Gdurham

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the assist everyone, just ordered a bunch of these cameras and a 4216.

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where can we find firmwares for our Chinese 4431C-A?

Btan

n3wb
Reaction score
@Gdurham thanks for your post.

Would you mind mind sharing who you ended up buying your nvr and cameras from? And the 4216 would require a POE switch,correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
incorrect, some come w/built in PoE.. some do not, look for like an P in the model number to indicate PoE built in.