Dahua HDW5831R-ZE review

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great attention to detail!

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's a very in depth and time consuming review. Kudos. Lots of time invested there for all of us to benefit from. Your skill and knowledge are evident from the post.

Thanks from all of us.

SD

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea where the WDR settings are in the camera menus? I can't seem to find them. Maybe I need to update the firmware?
In the Dahua cameras I have, it is in:

set up
camera
conditions
conditions
backlight (WDR is one option)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heire

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice review and a good comparison, however can you tell if you had 3d dnr on or off?
Since I see blur in the moving object, it tells me dnr is enabled. How much % is it configured?
3d dnr is nice but it totally makes the image too nice and give a wrong view of the area.
I test pretty much without dnr, that gives me a clear untouched image.
In principle wdr is not for outside environments but it can help sometimes.
Would be good to see the 2mp in a f/1.4 too the 8mp has a very good lens compared to the 2mp. A 5231 would perform better in principle.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that’s one in-depth review! Thanks!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Heire In most cases there is a description at the top of images, where I give info about noise reduction. I used mostly DNR 50 and 30. I don’t understand the sentence:

3d dnr is nice but it totally makes the image too nice and give a wrong view of the area
What do you mean? A clear image is better. Isn’t it? If there is too much noise, the image is deprived of detail and codec is having hard time to deal with it. If you have a clear image with DNR turned off, than you are lucky having a very well lit area at night.

In principle wdr is not for outside environments but it can help sometimes.
Did you mean WDR or DNR? I don’t think, there is any principle when talking about image settings. Every user sets its camera to meet certain needs. In my case, I want to see clearly ground part as well as sky part of the image. WDR makes it possible.

Would be good to see the 2mp in a f/1.4 too the 8mp has a very good lens compared to the 2mp. A 5231 would perform better in principle.
The difference between f1.4 and f2.0 is exactly 1EV. This means f1.4 lens is passing twice as much light as f2.0 lens. The 5231 would have the same noise level as 4231, because they are based on same sensor (IMX290). But 5231 would have brighter image, same as 5831. If you look at my ISO/GAIN graph, you will see both 5831 and 4231 reach ISO20000. But with brighter lens 5831 is brigher at top GAIN by one stop (1EV). Right now I’m testing 4431 camera and plan to post a quick review of it soon. It also reaches ISO20000 but with much higher noise levels.

Last edited:

Heire

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,

3d dnr creates a nice picture of your environment and if that's what you want the good. But any moving subject will be ghostjng/bluring cause the camera wants to make a nice picture but can't handle the change in pixels properly. Hence 3d dnr is bad if you want to capture moving objects. In my case I want to see the moving objects as thats what I'm using the camera for.
Personally I prefer tests without smoothing algorithms then you clearly see what the camera is capable off. I do this with all the vendors I've worked with.

Same for wdr, depending if its true or digital. In most cases the camera gives better image without wdr unless you have a direct sunlight during the day but then I would reconsider a sun cap or something to avoid direct sunlight.

I'm only septic about the case that the 8mp performs equal as the 4231, any 2mp starlight outperforms any high resolution camera with a few exceptions but those are expensive cameras.

It's still a good and extensive report, not many have done that detail of work which I applaud.

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't say 5831 outperforms 4231. It's only able to give brighter image at night due to faster lens. The noise level is higher at 8MP no matter what.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

3d dnr creates a nice picture of your environment and if that's what you want the good. But any moving subject will be ghostjng/bluring cause the camera wants to make a nice picture but can't handle the change in pixels properly. Hence 3d dnr is bad if you want to capture moving objects. In my case I want to see the moving objects as thats what I'm using the camera for.
Personally I prefer tests without smoothing algorithms then you clearly see what the camera is capable off. I do this with all the vendors I've worked with.

Same for wdr, depending if its true or digital. In most cases the camera gives better image without wdr unless you have a direct sunlight during the day but then I would reconsider a sun cap or something to avoid direct sunlight.

I'm only septic about the case that the 8mp performs equal as the 4231, any 2mp starlight outperforms any high resolution camera with a few exceptions but those are expensive cameras.

It's still a good and extensive report, not many have done that detail of work which I applaud.
Your reasoning is incorrect. You apparently don't have experience with a "good" camera.
A "suncap" or direct sunlight on the cam has NOTHING to do with the cameras WDR.
Many of us here have cams that use DNR at night, and don't have the blurring you allude to.
A properly setup cam won't have the issue's you are talking about.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any updated firmware for this camera which allows more than 10mb/s video?

raoulnamur

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ! This is my first post to the forum (by the way : a big THANK YOU to Fenderman, looney2s, wopi82. You guys are amazing. Without you, I would have bought a useless all-in-one Reolink kit on Amazon, and I would have wasted a lot of money)

My question is about the recommended cameras on this site (and in the Cliff Notes). I understand that the general recommendation is to buy a 2MP Dahua Starlight camera, because of its best-in-class performance during night time.

HOWEVER, I have been surprised by the comparison of Dahua HFW1831E vs Dahua HDW4231EM-AS:This video shows that HFW1831E is as good as HDW4231EM-AS during night time, and far better during day time.

HFW1831E seems to be far better than any other 2MP Starlight camera. Why is it not recommended in the Cliff Notes ? Am I missing anything ?

upload_2019-3-9_11-58-50.png

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HOWEVER, I have been surprised by the comparison of Dahua HFW1831E vs Dahua HDW4231EM-AS:This video shows that HFW1831E is as good as HDW4231EM-AS during night time, and far better during day time.

HFW1831E seems to be far better than any other 2MP Starlight camera. Why is it not recommended in the Cliff Notes ? Am I missing anything ?

View attachment 40205
Your environment always has high ambient external lighting, even in IR mode. Of course it looks good for your situation so maybe the 8Mp cam will be better. You could probably run your cam in constant color mode with that external light. A lot of other peoples location will have low to zero ambient lighting, therefore, a 2Mp starlight will get more light / pixel where it really counts. Are you able to turn off the overhead lighting in your area and do a comparison w/o the ambient external lighting?

Edit: Oops, thought that was your video raoulnamur. Never mind.

Last edited:

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
badass review @wopi82

I am curious to know if anyone has made a comparison between the IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE and this camera.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perfect review, dzięki!

It replaces a 4421 in my case, and the 5831 is by far the better cam. In all regards. Most of all, since the last fw update, it has day/night-profile switching which is essential for any outdoor cam. Great product.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where do you get the firmware updates for the 5831?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you get the firmware updates for the 5831?
Check Andy's sub-forum (EmpireTech) in the vendor area for threads that "IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea" in the title, ... same firmware works on multiple models. Also be sure to read the entire thread of any version you're interested in to make sure folks haven't run into any major problems.

I am curious to know if anyone has made a comparison between the IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE and this camera.
I haven't seen one. Usually when there's a fixed-lens and varifocal version of the same model (i.e. 4831/5831), there's a slight difference in minimum illumination specs. Dahua rates the 5831 at .2 Lux which is a bit better than the 4831's .3 Lux, but I'd guess it would take some serious side-by-side comparisons to notice it.

If you don't need a turret, the 1831/2831 8MP models have a bigger (1/1.8") image sensor that should outperform the 4831/5831 at night. And if you need more MP but it doesn't have to be 8MP, the min. illumination specs of the newer 5MP AI series also look to be a lot better.

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check Andy's sub-forum (EmpireTech) in the vendor area for threads that "IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea" in the title, ... same firmware works on multiple models. Also be sure to read the entire thread of any version you're interested in to make sure folks haven't run into any major problems.

I haven't seen one. Usually when there's a fixed-lens and varifocal version of the same model (i.e. 4831/5831), there's a slight difference in minimum illumination specs. Dahua rates the 5831 at .2 Lux which is a bit better than the 4831's .3 Lux, but I'd guess it would take some serious side-by-side comparisons to notice it.

If you don't need a turret, the 1831/2831 8MP models have a bigger (1/1.8") image sensor that should outperform the 4831/5831 at night. And if you need more MP but it doesn't have to be 8MP, the min. illumination specs of the newer 5MP AI series also look to be a lot better.
Can you link the model you speak of @aristobrat