Dahua IPC-Color4K-T Vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2387G2-LU

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am hoping this does not get torn apart by different fanboys of each brand but from a non bias opinion how do these two compare for picture quality, features, night time video, etc. Also curious about ease of setup between these two in regards to networking and remote video. I have primarily used hik vision and hik connect and setting up remote viewing has been as simple as using a qr code for the new device. Was super easy to setup and I don’t believe that opened any ports for remote viewing and no vpn needed ( hope not but didn’t check when I had set these up lol).

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you will get fanboy responses LOL...

Read thru these threads (or do a search for Hikvision in them lol). There are comparisons between Hikvision and Dahua 4K series:

Now what is interesting is that many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside or do not like the white LED lights on, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. ColorVu type cameras cannot see infrared, so you can't add infrared later.

Here is link to a thread of many that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light (as is any surveillance camera)

Initial review of the DS-2CD2347G2-L(U) ColorVu 2.0 IP camera.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik full color version at night than the Dahua 4K/X or 4K/T full color version. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the 4K/X and 4K/T are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Read thru these threads (or do a search for Hikvision in them lol). There are comparisons between Hikvision and Dahua 4K series:

Now what is interesting is that many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside or do not like the white LED lights on, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. ColorVu type cameras cannot see infrared, so you can't add infrared later.

Here is link to a thread of many that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light (as is any surveillance camera)

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik full color version at night than the Dahua 4K/X or 4K/T full color version. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the 4K/X and 4K/T are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...
The last paragraph is definitely a possibility haha. Spec wise is there anything between the two that on paper one one should exceed the other in some aspect of performance?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The last paragraph is definitely a possibility haha. Spec wise is there anything between the two that on paper one one should exceed the other in some aspect of performance?
Well, there is one point I find extremely important, BUT I was never able to test this myself:
"How close can you get before things are no longer focused?"
According to spec sheets, the Hikvision can get over a meter closer.
According to reviews here, things were even worse for Dahua than specs claimed.
If you want to get an f=1.0 camera, you have to look at the depth of field. It seems to matter. For me, it basically eliminates the 8mp cams as it starts too far away.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, there is one point I find extremely important, BUT I was never able to test this myself:
"How close can you get before things are no longer focused?"
According to spec sheets, the Hikvision can get over a meter closer.
According to reviews here, things were even worse for Dahua than specs claimed.
If you want to get an f=1.0 camera, you have to look at the depth of field. It seems to matter. For me, it basically eliminates the 8mp cams as it starts too far away.
How does dahua mobile app compare to hik connect. Easy to setup remote viewing or will a vpn be required?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Neither needs a VPN, but you would want to use one to keep your system secure.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Neither needs a VPN, but you would want to use one to keep your system secure.
Not sure of how hik connect works and but I assume the remote viewing is encrypted via ssl or something and I don’t believe ports are open. Why would the vpn be needed? Does the data go from the camera to some hikvision servers first then to the mobile app to get around not needing the ports being locally open?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep it goes to P2P servers, so you assumption is right and wrong about secure. Do a search here of how people have been hacked...

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep it goes to P2P servers, so you assumption is right and wrong about secure. Do a search here of how people have been hacked...
I’m sure this probably a whole thread on its own but if you use a vpn then hik connect will never send to their p2p servers based on some setting you put in hik connect? Or do you just set it up as local up addresses and not use their QR code system for finding the cameras when setting it up?

I figured it was ssl so in theory should be atleast 2048 cert which I would trust but ultimately im no expert in authentication so I’d take your word for it.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Does the dahua have two way audio?