Dahua IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 ir reflection

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought two IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (2.8 and 3.6) at night both of them appear to suffer from ir reflection.
Today I decided to unmount them and test the the lenses pointing straight out. Thinking the issue was related to having the lenses in an angle.

With the lenses like this:
20211105_221401.jpg

With cover on:
Screenshot_20211105-220017_Blue Iris.jpg

with cover off:
Screenshot_20211105-220046_Blue Iris.jpg

Any suggestions before I send them back ? Other than turn off IR and use a separate ir illuminator.

Thank you,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to make sure that the rubber gasket/foam surround the lens seats up properly against the dome. It may take a few tries to get the proper seal.

On my booby cams I cleaned the inside of the dome with Windex to remove any residue from the gasket/foam that may have transferred over and then I let the camera sit a day or so without the cover on to let the gasket/foam expand so that it would make a tighter fit. If handy, you could try to add a little more foam to the gasket to ensure a tight seal.

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to make sure that the rubber gasket/foam surround the lens seats up properly against the dome. It may take a few tries to get the proper seal.

On my booby cams I cleaned the inside of the dome with Windex to remove any residue from the gasket/foam that may have transferred over and then I let the camera sit a day or so without the cover on to let the gasket/foam expand so that it would make a tighter fit. If handy, you could try to add a little more foam to the gasket to ensure a tight seal.
Thank you for the quick response, I can see that the gasket is not sealing against the dome. What type of foam could be used to get it to seal ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let it sit open a day or so and see if the seal expands after being compressed for so long. Mine has no issue after doing that.

You could probably find some dense foam at a camera store that you could cut to fit the needs of the camera.

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to use foam and raise the gasket a little bit a create a better seal:
20211107_222739.jpg
I see improvements but not clear enough. The dome and lens were cleaned with a glasses' cloth.
Screenshot_20211107-222552_Blue Iris.jpg
I am not sure how @looney2ns got nice night shots and didn't have any issues with the gasket.
I will probably have to run another ethernet cable and run two separate cameras.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Go to check if has some vapor on the housing , looks like has some vapor, actually this will disappear after 1-2 days using if has vapor.
maybe @looney2ns can do some suggestions.

By the way, how tall you install it, if too low the IR will be bit strong nearby. Looks like you install at a bit low place from your pic posted.

Have you install the smart IR FW?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to use foam and raise the gasket a little bit a create a better seal:
View attachment 107647
I see improvements but not clear enough. The dome and lens were cleaned with a glasses' cloth.
View attachment 107648
I am not sure how @looney2ns got nice night shots and didn't have any issues with the gasket.
I will probably have to run another ethernet cable and run two separate cameras.
I would guess you are getting IR reflections from the white on the cover. You have the lens turned at an extreme angle. Do you need to see that much of the horizon and the second story of the other house? You might try some black electrical tape on the white area immediately above the IR. But if you can lower the angle down from where is currently is, it may very well solve it. It doesn't take much movement to fix usually.

You may also try rotating the lens 180 degrees so that the majority of the leds are on the bottom, then rotate the picture in the gui settings. Let us know how it goes.

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, thank you for the replies. I have the latest firmware. I will re-install the camera on its intended spot and share some night shots today.

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To recap.

1. Camera was left open for over two days.
2. Lens rotated so that most of the IR led are on the bottom.
3. Latest firmware.
4. Camera is installed under soffit about 12ft.
5. Everything set to default.
6. I used a little foam between the gasket to create a better seal.
7. I found a turret spacer (3d printable) and modified it to create an angle when mounting so that the lens are not so close to the edge.

Here are some pics:
20211109_105003.jpg
20211109_105006.jpg
20211109_104945.jpg

Day Picture:
2021_11_09_10_58_09_.png

Night Picture (will update tonight):

Attachments

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are the night shots.

No IR:
dual len no IR.png

With IR:
dual len with IR.png

Looks like IPC has a good seal with the gasket, but has some sort of circle in the image which is caused by the IR, not visible without IR.
IPC2 doesn't look like it has a good gasket seal, IR still bleeding, not as much as before but still.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the no IR pictures with the domes on or off?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I asked because the non IR picture seemed to be brighter than the IR picture - maybe because you are still on default/auto settings so the shutter adjusted based on IR?

That one little circle in the one could be IR bounce off the stuff against the fence that the dome is collecting - or a tiny piece of dust on the lens.

So your picture looks about the same with and without the dome - the 2nd camera looks a little clearer without the IR bounce, but you should be able to get that seal tight like you did cam1.

josalamanca007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I asked because the non IR picture seemed to be brighter than the IR picture - maybe because you are still on default/auto settings so the shutter adjusted based on IR?

That one little circle in the one could be IR bounce off the stuff against the fence that the dome is collecting - or a tiny piece of dust on the lens.

So your picture looks about the same with and without the dome - the 2nd camera looks a little clearer without the IR bounce, but you should be able to get that seal tight like you did cam1.
The brightness could be due to auto settings like you said.
I tried to get a better seal tonight but I made it worse, I will take it off tomorrow evening and try again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is what I thought. I was hoping it wasn't an issue with the dome. Mine looks the same on or off.

But yeah those seals can be tough to get them on, especially with two cams. It doesn't take much to roll it.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to modify my Hikvision domes due to having the same issue. I bought the punch listed below and also got the 3/4" one to make a gasket to shield it from the IR light. The size of the punches matches exactly the foam gasket one in the camera. I just got weatherstripping and punched it out and then just placed over the one that was on the camera. Helped block the IR, but there will always be some reflection from the IR reflection from the thickness of the glass dome. Domes and IR don't mix. Because of this I now stay away from dome cameras.

Your other option is get an external IR emitter and do not use the IR on the camera.

General Tools 1271N Arch Punch, 1-1/8-Inches: Hand Tool Arch Punches: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.