Dahua IPC-HDBW81230E-ZE 12mp flashing green light? Can't see camera.

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently had a small house fire that did a surprising amount of damage. Fire department ripped a giant hole in the ceiling to save the house, and snipped the Ethernet cable to my camera. I installed a joiner after testing both ends... I don't believe the connectors are the issue. But now I have a solid green light on the right side of the Netgear PoE switch port which indicates power is present, but the left port that indicates data is not lit at all.

Camera is flashing green, and occasionally changes to solid, and then back to slow flashing green.

IDMSS and SmartPSS aren't showing anything, and says 192.168.1.108 is not found.

What do you think is the problem?

Edit: I bypassed one side of the cable and plugged in directly to my router, and got a solid green. But I still didn't see the camera come online.

Last edited:

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just going to pull the camera down and connect it directly to the switch and see if that fixes it. Easier than messing around in the attic to diagnose.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
my guess would be the 'joiner' used to connect the two cable segments doesn't make the right pin connections. you may be able to open it up and reconfigure such that each wire connects to the same color (assuming you used the standard TIA568b on all crimps...)

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
Tonight I pulled the camera down to get a closer look at what is happening. It was initially flashing green. I reset it, and now it's a solid green. When I try to re-add the camera to the network, IDMSS says it's not discoverable.

Switch is showing data & power. I tried another port on the switch, same results. I pulled the MicroSD card, and that didn't change anything either.

What else can I try?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
assuming you tried a different ethernet cable? tried an external 12V power supply (vs PoE)?
packet capture to check for any signs of life as it boots up? it should ARP for it's own IP address...
failing that, if there's no networking going on, you may need to open it up and locate the serial connection pads & check for life via serial connection...

Last edited:

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, Pozello.

The good news is it's fixed. Bad news is that I feel like an idiot. I added a new Netgear Orbi router to my network recently and didn't think that could possibly be the issue. It was. I bypassed the router and plugged the switch straight into the AT&T modem and the camera was instantly discoverable.

Appears to be an IP address conflict between the camera and the router. I think the default camera address is outside the default range of the Orbi. I guess I forgot to RTFM. :)

Last edited: