Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-xx help please.

MNDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been looking in the forums, searching and really have not found a simple no BS answer.

I own a couple IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. I'm looking to expand a few more but cant really determine any pro's or con's from going to the "newer" IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. Both are the same price but really, what is a benefit from one vs the other? - if any...

Sidebar question - I'm looking to ditch smart PSS and go with Dahua NVR. What would u all recommend for 7 cameras or less 5231-xxxx models? POE on the NVR is not required as the distance forces me to use a POE switch.

Regards

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been looking in the forums, searching and really have not found a simple no BS answer.

I own a couple IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. I'm looking to expand a few more but cant really determine any pro's or con's from going to the "newer" IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. Both are the same price but really, what is a benefit from one vs the other? - if any...

Sidebar question - I'm looking to ditch smart PSS and go with Dahua NVR. What would u all recommend for 7 cameras or less 5231-xxxx models? POE on the NVR is not required as the distance forces me to use a POE switch.

Regards
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

The new ze is more noticeable. Slighty more zoom...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
On the nvr, I think the most widely used dahua model amongst forum members is the 5216-4ks2 (some with poe, some without). The non-poe model is a single-nic version with room for 2 hard disks. It uses a fanless external power brick and the nvr's fan noise is very reasonable. There's an 8-camera version (5208-4ks2), but with the minimal cost difference I think most of us would recommend the 5216-4ks2. I use smartPss heavily with the nvr and think it works pretty well. I don't connect to any of the cameras with it. If you move up the chain to a higher end model you can get dual-nics, more disk bays, and more external i/o event lines.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey All,

Regards

If most of your cameras are Dahua branded, then I would get a Dahua NVR with at least 16 cameras ports since it not much more money over the 8 cameras version and you will be able to use IVS detection features found in Dahua cameras.