Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z refuses B/W mode in night profile due to partially lit up image

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello forum members!

I have a couple of IPC-HDW5231R-Z with firmware version V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05

I have set them up to use Day/Night in profile management.

The problem is, when I activate the usage of "Day/Night" (instead of a general or a full time profile) the Mode dropdown in Conditions -> Day & Night gets disabled and shows "Auto". I would like to force "B/W" in the Night profile and "Color" in the day profile but such an obvious choice can not be made. I'm stuck with "Auto". I guess that works most of the times but in my case the camera will not switch over to B/W (also IR won't go on of course) even though 75% of the image is totally black. 25% of the image in the upper right corner is very bright wall lit up by a lamp. If I activate a full time profile with night setting I can select B/W and everything looks just great.

Any ideas what I can do to force B/W in night mode?

Cheers!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to use the schedule profile or the utility someone created here to force it on sunrise/sunset.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to use the 'Schedule" profile...
You have to use the schedule profile or the utility someone created here to force it on sunrise/sunset.
Thanks guys! Doing what you told me solves the problem. I already have a script in my home automation that sets the day / night profile and I guess I will just have to alter it a bit to deal with modifying the schedule instead.
But I'm happy that you told me about this workaround solution! Your knowledge and experience is outstanding. I wish I could do something for you in return!

Cheers!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We've all been there. Thats whats great about this place

Just to be safe and allow the camera enough light to focus on something, set to switch a bit before sunset and a bit after sunrise