Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE motion detection and Synology Surveillance station

Taichou

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi community
I have following issue and hope you can help me out.
I have connected 1 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE with the synology surveillance station and want to use the cameras motion detection. But I cannot figure out how to do that. If I use SS motion detection it works, but I am not satifsfied with it (too many false alarms; e.g. event is triggered when camera switches from day to night mode).
I have activated the motion detection on the camera web interface and it works, logs with detection are generated. But how do I get SS be triggered, when the camera detects an event?
On the configuration page of SS, I have activated Detection algorithm source: By camera and checked "Keep original camera settings). The camera is supported by SS and can be found on the camera list. But no event detection.

Anyone, who can help?
Thanks.

aem9999

n3wb
Reaction score
I run with continuous recording + camera event detection. It works. Always recording with markers when events happen. I used to run with lower resolution 24x7 and switch to high resolution for events but decided it was better to enable H.265+ and run full resolution all the time. It does not work with any advanced detection such as IVS.

Taichou

n3wb
Reaction score
I run with continuous recording + camera event detection. It works. Always recording with markers when events happen. I used to run with lower resolution 24x7 and switch to high resolution for events but decided it was better to enable H.265+ and run full resolution all the time. It does not work with any advanced detection such as IVS.
Thanks for reply.

And event detection is controlled by the camera?

I have activated event detection on camera by web interface. The camera detects events and generates logs (on web interface). SS is not triggered by detection and I dont know how to get that. I know that IVS not supported by Synology, I only want to have basic motion detection.

aem9999

n3wb
Reaction score
And event detection is controlled by the camera?
Yes, on the Motion Detection Tab I have Enable checked, as well as Record and Snapshot. I don't have a SD card, so not sure that snapshot will do anything.

On SS in the recording setting page, schedule tab I have continuous enabled for all days, all times. I think if you just want to record motion you have to have Motion Detection enabled in the schedule if you aren't recording continuously.

In the stream tab you specify which stream to use for motion events. For me continuous and motion are the same. As I said, at one time I had continuous at lower resolution with higher resolution for motion.

On my system there is a delay between the motion and when SS recognizes it even if I'm recording continously.

gmorganVA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi community
I have following issue and hope you can help me out.
I have connected 1 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE with the synology surveillance station and want to use the cameras motion detection. But I cannot figure out how to do that. If I use SS motion detection it works, but I am not satifsfied with it (too many false alarms; e.g. event is triggered when camera switches from day to night mode).
I have activated the motion detection on the camera web interface and it works, logs with detection are generated. But how do I get SS be triggered, when the camera detects an event?
On the configuration page of SS, I have activated Detection algorithm source: By camera and checked "Keep original camera settings). The camera is supported by SS and can be found on the camera list. But no event detection.

Anyone, who can help?
Thanks.
How did you get your Dahua camera to connect up to Surveillance Station? I keep getting test connection failures. When I scan for devices my camera shows up in the list but I cannot get SS to connect. I saw one post about changing all the stream parameters to very specific values in the camera settings web page. Is this what you had to do? I'm running the latest firmware from the IPCT forums.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have all my Dahua's setup as Onvif in Surveillance Station on my Synology. (See attached screenshot)

btw, In last update of Surveillance Station IVS events are supported now! (8.2.8-6335)

Attachments

gmorganVA

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update: Working with Andy (my camera needed an open the camera and push the button hard reset) I got my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE working with Surveillance Station 8.2.8-6335 (Synology). I did not use ONVIF, was able to get things connected up using the Dahua specific profile for this camera.

Now I need to learn about event detection and move from my test stand to an actual installed outdoor camera.

Talking to Tripp Lite support about using their B110-SP-CAT-OD and B110-SP-POE to protect my camera and inside equipment. I have also optically isolated my PoE switch using a fiber link to avoid damaging other networked equipment should a surge come down the ethernet line from one of the cameras. Tripp Lite products have saved my bacon multiple times in the past (mostly preventing phone line related surges from destroying modem / computer equipment back in the day).

And yes, I have firewall and vLANs for logical separation of the camera network as well. Did lots of reading on these forums and elsewhere before ordering any equipment.

katalyst

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update: Working with Andy (my camera needed an open the camera and push the button hard reset) I got my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE working with Surveillance Station 8.2.8-6335 (Synology). I did not use ONVIF, was able to get things connected up using the Dahua specific profile for this camera.

Now I need to learn about event detection and move from my test stand to an actual installed outdoor camera.

Talking to Tripp Lite support about using their B110-SP-CAT-OD and B110-SP-POE to protect my camera and inside equipment. I have also optically isolated my PoE switch using a fiber link to avoid damaging other networked equipment should a surge come down the ethernet line from one of the cameras. Tripp Lite products have saved my bacon multiple times in the past (mostly preventing phone line related surges from destroying modem / computer equipment back in the day).

And yes, I have firewall and vLANs for logical separation of the camera network as well. Did lots of reading on these forums and elsewhere before ordering any equipment.
When you say you got it working using the specific Dahua profile, was your camera selectable from the drop down list even though it didn;t auto detect?

I'd like to add my 4 cams (a 5442, some 3241 and a 2231) into synology, but can't find the best way to make use of all the features.