Dahua IPC-HDW5442 cam model difference

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Toyota Prius stolen from our Condo, ( began as a Purse snatching at a grocery store initially), was found 3 weeks later, stuck in a snow bank, with 4 different sets of license plates in the back seat. the plates displayed, were also stolen.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is out of by budget list unless i go with IPC-HDW2431T-ZS-S2 which is not that great at night time.
I know this may sound crazy but if I were to start over again, I would only get the best cameras off the bat because after you get going with your setup you'll WISH you had the better cam and end up replacing that camera with the one you really wanted after 6 months or a year. Trust me and others that have wasted spent extra $$$ doing that.

I have both the LED and IR versions of the 5442 and I use the LED version for a couple places where I wanted full time lighting (side of house and near a stairway). After going with these color cams, I've been converted to only color cams lately as the image at night is so much better for details. BUT..... I also upgraded all my exterior lighting to allow for a 1/100 or faster exposure at night so that I reduced motion blur too for those cams. The LED versions don't give off a super bright light but it lightly illuminates a small area. Myself, I wouldn't put the LED version in a spot that is trying to capture foot or vehicle traffic, the light isn't really bright enough and it would look sort of weird having this sort of "not totally dim but not very bright" light shining where people could see it at night. It's pretty conspicuous because it stands out due to it's not being a real floodlight but also being this peculiar small light too... if that makes sense. Could be just my thinking though. LOL. For my uses, its great.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, My learning experience agrees with your first part. My first 5442 LED arrived yesterday. But in my inexperience, I have found that the 2 Jidetech PTZ's don't respond well to motion setting adjustment. And I want to repurpose them or fortify their positions with a consistent performer. I have people walking past one of them with no timeline marker. I'm pretty sure I've exhausted the varieties of sensitivity settings and just have left it in continuous record, because "continous and triggered" or "triggered"were actually worse.
There's always a chance its user error, but the Dahua's and Amcrest's i installed have been pretty responsive at default settings. The old nightowl 2mp 16 DVR has a few Amcrest AHD 2mp turrets mixed in, and they have caught the bulk of the indoor motion related to our mail box theft. I have to use the clock on the Nightowl to search the Jidetechs time line to find the matching events which were not marked as motion. Althought they usually have snapped a jpeg. but sometimes its a .jpeg of nothing.