Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to note here as well that I've tested the SMD on these last 2 test releases and they do still have the issue of incorrect detection as @looney2ns also saw. In looking at the code it would appear that the last 2 test versions (7/31 & 8/14) are built off the 6/20 code which also had this issue hence it being inherited in these builds. Have reported this back as well to @EMPIRETECANDY and Dahua who are working on the SMD for next release. For reference the last known good version in my testing (for SMD) is 5/29's baseline algorithm so have suggested that as baseline to review and build off of.

Reaction score
So at this point they have yet to completely fix the SmartIR/AutoIR and IVS features all in the same build. Is that correct? If yes, I’ll just continue waiting until we have a fully working version. Thanks for everyone that has the skills to easily test and move around the various installs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to note here as well that I've tested the SMD on these last 2 test releases and they do still have the issue of incorrect detection as @looney2ns also saw. In looking at the code it would appear that the last 2 test versions (7/31 & 8/14) are built off the 6/20 code which also had this issue hence it being inherited in these builds. Have reported this back as well to @EMPIRETECANDY and Dahua who are working on the SMD for next release. For reference the last known good version in my testing (for SMD) is 5/29's baseline algorithm so have suggested that as baseline to review and build off of.
Yep, human and auto filters do nothing.

Pharmer

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a lower-income area with drug houses. Here is one of the incidents, the one where the dog got stabbed to death and a man got a stab to the kidney area around 2AM:
View attachment 68054
The Prosecutor called to congratulate me for my video (Bosch 8000 Starlight with 50mm lens), which forced the collapse of the defense and put the stabber in prison.

The park has been renovated and is attracting a lot of families, which is pushing out the druggies. It's also very well-lighted at night, and there are no picnic tables any more for them to sit down and get comfortable with their drug pipes.
That's great you were able to capture that!

Spokane has such beautiful areas but has some dark pockets.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
SMD issue i already reported to dahua guy on last fw 20200814 they will update w,ith the SMART IR issues tomorrow, so 25th we will get another new version for testing.
Dahua did some discount for us, so we down the price on the amazon. Help guys save some money!
Have enough stocks now.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a single US N45DJ62 model running the DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.800.12JW000.0.R.200717 firmware as my 'training' camera to learn settings/Blue Iris etc. Eventually I'll add the appropriate # and types of cameras down the road but I plan to use at least 1/1.8" sensor cameras or better. Are firmware versions interchangeable between this US camera and the ones Andy sells?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
It’s not as bad as it was. It does detect people well BUT still has issues with animals and detects them as human, dahua said there has another baseline in early Sep, we will use this one firstly
1598502892036.png
Can lower the sensitivity
1598502903957.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, I went out in the rain last night to test the latest firmware and have included a 14.5 min video below. Timestamps for ease of viewing are below.

Long story short:

Findings
  • SMD in my testing both day & night has been ‘improved’ since 8/14 BUTas @looney2ns and I agree, still has issues in identifying incorrect targets such as animals as humans (noted this to @EMPIRETECANDY last night). Therefore SMD still needs work so have sent feedback and video to Dahua in hopes to get this included in the September security baseline they are working on.
    • With regards to SMD sensitivity, there are some important takeaways here to dialing in your SMD targets for performance even while awaiting the next changes. I'll try not to lose people here as I explain what I've seen with SMD across these cameras. Specifically, sensitivity is usually understood as the higher the sensitivity, the more sensitive a given area is to an input or in this case a target BUT in the SMD implementation it appears that Dahua has taken Sensitivity as you would expect it to be implemented and combined this with 'threshold'. Take a look at regular Motion Detection settings and you will see it clearly has both Sensitivity & Threshold which are critical to any form of motion based capture. However, In SMD (although this is an effective add-on to regular Motion Detection) it is the threshold that it would appear the algorithm is using and biasing to spot targets rather than true sensitivity (as described). This means to enable more accurate captures or response from SMD we have to adjust our understanding and expectations of it a little. Specifically this means flipping the understanding so that setting to low 'sensitivity' (actually threshold) means it will trigger / find what the cam see's as targets more frequently than high sensitivity (again actually threshold) which would result in less target acquisition or a more conservative approach to identifying then tracking a target through FOV. I saw this in my testing and as I felt this was important, wanted to mention it here as it does change the way you approach SMD currently. Take a look at section 6:00 of the video and see for yourself the difference in continued target acquisition of SMD (green box) in Low vs Med & High especially when comparing to video as seen in 11:36. Now with highly defined targets, close to camera this makes little difference but for continued identification across further distance or as a target moves further away this becomes critically important to ensuring you continuously identify that target. Hope that made sense.
  • IVS (for those that saw issues) is working fine in this release (please see the IVS section for tripwire testing) and responsiveness to target has been improved
  • SmartIR there were barely any changes on this FW. Due to this, although SmartIR was much improved in 8/14, as I noted this primarily impacts face on installations which for most people may not give them what they need as generally installing these slightly higher around 6.5 to 7.5 ft. Therefore have again raised this to Dahua to fix IR response and strength for those situations where the target may be center of camera but at an angle other than face on

Therefore recommendation for now would be to use this as its the best FW so far BUT and I do stress BUT, there is still work needed here to get this working as expected and for that both Dahua & Andy are engaged, THANK YOU to them. I will look at the next FW once made available in September.

Video Timestamps

• 00:28 - SmartIR Testing
  • 06:00 - SMD & IVS Testing
  • 11:28 - SMD Only Testing
  • 12:46 - SMD & IVS Full Color Test

HTH, let me know with any questions as always

im327

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it correct to say none of the tests were IVS only? I have not tried SMD & IVS at the same time and am looking for something else to try.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The SmartIR testing were caps taken from IVS only so yes the test includes all

Is it correct to say none of the tests were IVS only? I have not tried SMD & IVS at the same time and am looking for something else to try.