Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS random "no signal" in Blue Iris

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just moved several cameras from another property to my house. They all worked fine at the remote site (as far as I can tell). They are now connected to a TP-SG2210MP PoE switch. I am getting random "no signal" about 5-6 times a day. I have lowered the FPS, bw, etc to see if that is the problem, but no luck. That switch has a couple of older Hikvisions (2MP) that are working fine. I have a second one connected via a short cable directly to the switch and it has "no signal" drops as well, just not as many, maybe 1/3.

Has anyone seen incompatibilities with Dahua and TP-Link PoE switches?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I am wondering if maybe there is some interference in the cabinet that has the switch. There is a UPS to the left. I might need to try some shielded cables to be sure.

1697810928144.png

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are protected from the elements and are corrosion-free. I will look at cabling being the issue since the one camera with the most drops was a new run. The cam in the pic I posted is a new short 5' premade patch cable.

Reaction score
I just moved several cameras from another property to my house. They all worked fine at the remote site (as far as I can tell). They are now connected to a TP-SG2210MP PoE switch. I am getting random "no signal" about 5-6 times a day. I have lowered the FPS, bw, etc to see if that is the problem, but no luck. That switch has a couple of older Hikvisions (2MP) that are working fine. I have a second one connected via a short cable directly to the switch and it has "no signal" drops as well, just not as many, maybe 1/3.

Has anyone seen incompatibilities with Dahua and TP-Link PoE switches?
What are the specs of the computer you're running Blue Iris on? CPU, RAM, Boot Drive, Storage Drives, Motherboard, RAM? Are you using the onboard NIC? Do you have a second NIC just for the cameras? Are the cameras on an isolated LAN or are they going through your route? How are they configured? Static IP's or are you allowing them to be assigned via a DCHP server?

Is it a fresh installation of windows and did you optimize the computer as per the help file? Did you exclude all of the files from Windows defender that are outlined in the BI help file?

Are you using sub steams? and what is your BI computer CPU% normally at?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cables must be terminated using the 568B protocol.
Did you use dielectric grease in the outdoor connections?
No, I did not use grease on the outdoor connections. That being said, my other 9 don't have any either and not a single "no signal" among them. They have been installed for probably 8 years already.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the specs of the computer you're running Blue Iris on? CPU, RAM, Boot Drive, Storage Drives, Motherboard, RAM? Are you using the onboard NIC? Do you have a second NIC just for the cameras? Are the cameras on an isolated LAN or are they going through your route? How are they configured? Static IP's or are you allowing them to be assigned via a DCHP server?

Is it a fresh installation of windows and did you optimize the computer as per the help file? Did you exclude all of the files from Windows defender that are outlined in the BI help file?

Are you using sub steams? and what is your BI computer CPU% normally at?
I have a Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core (24-thread) with 64GB of RAM. I have 3 drives, boot is NVMe, BI storage is on a 1TB SSD and I have another 500GB SSD for other duties. MSI motherboard. Using onboard NIC.

All cams are static IPs on their own VLAN routed via my gateway.

It is a 3-year-old install of Win 10. Yes, it is optimized per the help file. The other 9 cams are functioning without a single drop.

I am using main streams only. CPU is at 8-12% most of the time. This is my primary desktop, so it can fluctuate if I am doing something else, but rarely over 40-50%.

I will try to re-run the cable with a shielded cable to remove the electrical interface scenario.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj posted sometime ago, that " no signal" comments on the log could be....the camera interpretaion of a black or dark static scene....there is a box to untick in each camera setting page for that.

1698090085888.png1698090139491.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because you don't see corrosion doesn't mean there isn't any. And 9 others working doesn't mean much either.

Was the other site BI as well or an NVR?

@looney2ns recommends a product to try in the event there is some non-seen corrosion in the camera pigtail or the cable termination.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are your ping times to the faulty cameras?
Ping statistics for 10.x.x.62:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Ping statistics for 10.x.x.61:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

I reset my BI counters yesterday (16 hours ago) and have only had 2 "no signal" on the camera that has the new run. Zero on the premade cable.

Now that you mentioned ping times. I did previously run extended pings (24 hours) to the one that had the most drops. During the ping test, I had zero drops on that camera in BI. My thought was a keep-alive type issue. Tried the settings in BI for RTSP keep[-alives, skip intitial https dns and reachability tests, etc. I also changed from using the hostname of the cam (I have a local DNS server with static entries for the cams) to using IP only in case it was DNS related.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention. When I moved the camera to the new house, I had to re-IP it. To make things simpler, I added the old IP range to my SEC VLAN as a secondary range. This allowed me to connect to them without a bunch of headaches. I could then reach them and re-ip for the correct IP range. I thought maybe this was an ARP cache issue on my Cisco switch or my Unifi EdgeRouter. I cleared the MAC address table on the Cisco and the ARP on the Unifi.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After further investigation, there are no issues with the cables and the switch ports show no errors. So this appears to be a config issue on the camera or in BI. I will swap out one of my older Hikvision cameras that are connected to the Cisco switch with the one I have on the short cable to see if the issue moves.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What version of Blue Iris are you on? I've discovered if I upgrade beyond 5.7.8.3 I start getting No Signal errors on about 6 or so of my cameras. I also get some weirdness on playback of clips where the alert image and its timestamp will show one thing, but playback of the clip will start at some random time up to a couple of minutes before or after the actual event. Ken @ blueirissoftware.com insists that nothing has changed since 5.7.8.3 that could be related to the symptoms, but every time a new "stable" version is out I try it out, see the symptoms, and roll back.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am on an older version 5.3.8.17. I have another box with BI on it with probably a newer version, maybe a few revisions higher. I can try that to see if it is there as well.