Dahua license plate reading camera

Ed Boyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good Dahua camera that is a good license plate reader. The area I live in has a 20 mph speed limit so that should not be a issue for the camera. Thanks for you help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Distance to the plate capture spot from the camera? Generally speaking out to 120+ft the HFW5231E-Z12E or newer version HFW5241E-Z12E will work well to see license plates, but it depends a lot on the scene.

Are you looking for a camera that actually reads the plate and stores them in a database? Thats another animal

Read up in the LPR forum
LPR

Ed Boyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, I just want to see who comes in my driveway, who go's up and down our road and we have never had a package stolen from our porch or any were else the deliver drive may leave packages but if we ever do I would like to see the car and plate.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Again distance as well as angle matters, but either of those are what many of us use for LPR.

In order to see plates, especially at night, you'll want less than 30 degree angle from camera to plate. Straight on is best

Ed Boyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After reading here all the problems with these two cameras getting them to focus at night are there any other cameras that would do a good job in daylight and I"ll forget about the tags at night.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually getting them to focus at night is easy. there are a couple of different ways to do it.

Again, how far from the camera to the license plate? It makes a difference....without that nobody can tell you what camera

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
At 40ft you could probably use the Z5 version of this camera, though I'd still get the Z12. IR should be no problem at that distance.

Will the shot be straight on or is there an angle between camera and plate?

Ed Boyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera shot may be at about 10 degrees, Right now I'm not to concerned about reading license plates at night I would just like a good overview camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We're talking apples and oranges here....pick one

(change youtube player to 1080p)

Overview camera (sees a lot of area but little detail further out)

LPR camera (sees fine detail but small field of view)

thechip

n3wb
Reaction score
We're talking apples and oranges here....pick one

(change youtube player to 1080p)

Overview camera (sees a lot of area but little detail further out)

LPR camera (sees fine detail but small field of view)

Is Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E an LPR camera? If yes,
1. where can we buy one?
2. is this compatible with the Lorex 4K systems sold in Costco? If not, where & how to connect this setup?
3. will it remain that clear if installed at a garage pointed to a perpendicular street (2 lanes) to capture license plates info of passing cars?
Thank you.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera (Z12E) can be used for LPR, but it is not sold as a dedicated LPR camera. There are many cameras which can be used for seeing license plates. It all depends on conditions like distance, angle, speed of vehicle, light, etc....Some come with built-in databases and are specific to this purpose. This is simply a good general purpose camera with a larger 64mm zoom lens. It does not automatically do anything, it simply allows you to record video with plates in them when the conditions are right.

1- Member here @EMPIRETECANDY
2- No idea
3- No not perpendicular (90 degrees). The angle from camera to plate needs to be less than 30 degrees

LPR can be very tricky. There is no easy plug and play.

You should spend time and read up in the LPR forum