Dahua night mode file size

DeadEnd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera's that I have had setup for some time now.
I recently setup continuous recording of the stream on a server, and had a question about file size.

For reference (if it makes an impact the cameras are both setup as H.265 with smart codec on.
Resolution at 1092*1080, 30FPS, VBR bit rate with "quality" set to best.

So my question is this - on the continuous records I have it set to 1 hour recordings.
On both camera's when they switch to night mode, the file sizes go up by a factor of 10x.
The first camera that has street view records roughly 250 MB per hour during the day, but between 2.5 and 3 GB when night mode kicks on!?
The second camera is for the back yard, and has between 150 and 300MB typically during daylight hours, but jumps to 800MB - 1.5 GB when night mode kicks on.

Is this normal behavior? Does the gray scale mess with the compression this much? I would have though color mode during the day would have had larger files.
If someone else has experienced this I would be happy to hear about it.
Or if someone has insight as to why the night mode is generating significantly larger files I would appreciate understanding why.
If this is completely crazy - then I must have something screwed up in my settings :) although I haven't changed much.

Thanks everyone!
DeadEnd

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DeadEnd, hopefully you'll find out how to resolve your issue. But I certainly agree with you that B&W imagery should create less data.