Dahua NVR 5216-16p-4K

pjbut

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
New on here and know nothing about CCTV systems! Been trying to set up P2P for remote access to my Dahua NVR and 8 cameras.
Problem is when trying to add it using the iDMSS plus app.
I’m trying to scan the QR code, which it does but there is no serial number shown and my iPhone cannot connect.
The NVR is on my home LAN and I can connect to it via its IP address but I want remote access when away from my LAN.
The NVR seems to have forgotten its identity.
I’ve rebooted and factory reset etc and upgraded the firmware.
See attachments.
Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
New on here and know nothing about CCTV systems! Been trying to set up P2P for remote access to my Dahua NVR and 8 cameras.
I’m trying to scan the QR code, which it does but there is no serial number shown and my iPhone cannot connect.
The NVR is on my home LAN and I can connect to it via its IP address but I want remote access when away from my LAN.
See attachments.
Welcome @pjbut

Please see the VPN notes. It is better to run a VPN server on your router than to use P2P or UPnP which typically results in a hole in your internet router.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
See attachments.
Looking at the screen you have zero’s for a serial number. That’s not right. Have you tried the S/N from the box you posted? Your firmware isn’t even from this year unless I’m misreading it, it’s from 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the screen you have zero’s for a serial number. That’s not right. Have you tried the S/N from the box you posted? Your firmware isn’t even from this year unless I’m misreading it, it’s from 2015.

Yea Good catch on the firmware date, does seem rather strange, more that likely not stock firmware.

pjbut

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone find me the correct link to the newest firmware that I should be using?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve upgraded to what I think is latest firmware and still same problem.
Did you get your DVR from an authorized dealer? I would go to whoever you bought it from for support because something is wrong with those zeroes for the S/N.

pjbut

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it was set up by a professional installer but not by me. It was done by the previous owner of our new house. We’ve previously had it working, this new zero serial number situation has only recently happened.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it was set up by a professional installer but not by me. It was done by the previous owner of our new house. We’ve previously had it working, this new zero serial number situation has only recently happened.
Does it fail on the 15 digit S/N that you posted from the back of the unit?

pjbut

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I’ve tried entering the serial number from the back of the machine and it still fails to connect.

pjbut

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok but will that work with the Dahua app and also the no serial number problem?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't want to use the P2P qr method anyway, security risk.
See here: VPN Primer for Noobs | IP Cam Talk
And here: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Those articles don’t say anything about point to point just UPnP and port forwarding. Peer to peer and point to point are different in the sense that this just makes firmware automation/updating from Dahua possible. I would need to see an article from a recognized security researcher on Dahua’s implementation before I’d worry about this.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I’ve tried entering the serial number from the back of the machine and it still fails to connect.
I’m running out of ideas but have you considered either calling Dahua (you are a legit owner) or having your dealer set it up for you? I think you are right to want this managed by an NVR appliance rather than the BI/PC route since it’s a renter.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those articles don’t say anything about point to point just UPnP and port forwarding. Peer to peer and point to point are different in the sense that this just makes firmware automation/updating from Dahua possible. I would need to see an article from a recognized security researcher on Dahua’s implementation before I’d worry about this.

Hi @msnow

Kerbs has piles of related articles on Dahua:

From the history of "caring" about security - well IT security of their devices - both Hikvision and Dahua has shown themselves to be less caring....

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @msnow

Kerbs has piles of related articles on Dahua:

From the history of "caring" about security - well IT security of their devices - both Hikvision and Dahua has shown themselves to be less caring....
Well, while Krebs is a legit IT security journalist and his reporting is pretty spot on he’s not a researcher and I have subscribed to his blogs for years, still a good find. BUT, to your point about caring, he says this about Dahua:

“Since then, two of those firms — Huawei and *Dahua* — have taken steps to increase the security of their IoT products out-of-the-box.” So good for Dahua.

Also, you should have mentioned that P2P access from the manufacturer or anyone outside not only requires the UID serial but *also* a valid userID and password. So, people should always change the defaults for those and my NVR *required* me to change it but having those two access controls in front of the NVR is good protection.

As a security professional myself I don’t want to criticize your enthusiasm and generally people need to pay more attention to security than they do however, in this case, P2P appears to have the necessary mitigation.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, while Krebs is a legit IT security journalist and his reporting is pretty spot on he’s not a researcher and I have subscribed to his blogs for years, still a good find. BUT, to your point about caring, he says this about Dahua:

“Since then, two of those firms — Huawei and *Dahua* — have taken steps to increase the security of their IoT products out-of-the-box.” So good for Dahua.

Also, you should have mentioned that P2P access from the manufacturer or anyone outside not only requires the UID serial but *also* a valid userID and password. So, people should always change the defaults for those and my NVR *required* me to change it but having those two access controls in front of the NVR is good protection.

As a security professional myself I don’t want to criticize your enthusiasm and generally people need to pay more attention to security than they do however, in this case, P2P appears to have the necessary mitigation.

Hi @msnow

If you've been following security information for awhile you'll should all of this IoT / security camera stuff has and is being constantly compromised.

Dahua and Hikvision have gotten better.. but that's like saying a street hooker has one less STD.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @msnow

If you've been following security information for awhile you'll should all of this IoT / security camera stuff has and is being constantly compromised.

Dahua and Hikvision have gotten better.. but that's like saying a street hooker has one less STD.
lol. Yes but no need for overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk