Dahua NVR 5216 - trip wire & SMS problems

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 problems with my Dahua 5216 (16 POE) setup. One, I find in the manual that it seems like it should send SMS messages to my phone when an alarm is tripped, but when I log into my NVR I cannot find the menu for SMS. I'm using the 4233C-A & 4431 Dahua cameras.

Other problem is that my trip wires don't work consistently. The 1st one I set up for cars worked fine. I set up 2 for walking people, they work sometimes, sometime not. I have the max box size on the whole screen, min box as small as my foot. Do tripwires interfere with each other, like if one goes off, it delays the working of the 2nd one? I have latch set at 0.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had inconsistent results with Tripwire myself. Still better than MD. Try setting latch a little higher 2-5, and I've had better luck with the big box being a more reasonable size

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had inconsistent results with Tripwire myself. Still better than MD. Try setting latch a little higher 2-5, and I've had better luck with the big box being a more reasonable size
This is pretty much what I would say, too. One thing I found is that with line crossing, if the object is bigger than the line (i.e. part of the object crosses the line, part of it is past the end of the line), it often goes undetected. So for cars, I have better reliability with the line being longer. I initially tried with one line crossing and one intrusion detection on the same camera and think I'm having better luck with 2 lines instead. My black car scan sneak through the lines when the light level is low. Overall, it's so much better than motion detection that I don't even try to use motion detection. Pretty good hit rate, and very few false positives.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
50% of the green box has to cross the tripwire is what I've heard. Which makes it easier for objects to slip around the end of the tripwire line.
Using the web interface into the NVR, in "Live View", you'll see the interaction in real time. So viewing on your handheld laptop while you walk around may be helpful.
Similarly, in playback mode using the NVR web interface, you'll usually see the tripwires flash on an event. I find really short events don't always show, however.

I cannot find the menu for SMS
To get a text, send an email to your sms account. Just like you can send a text from your pc, by sending an email to the sms server of your cell phone carrier. Look it up on the internet, based on your carrier.
  1. Open your e-mail program and start a new e-mail message.
  2. Enter the cell phone number in the To: box using the format number@teleflip.com, where "number" is the phone number of the cell phone to which you're sending the message. ...
  3. Type a message of up to 160 characters in the message box and then click Send.
So in the email section of "Settings", "Network" in your NVR, enter an email address to send a text. The address will include your phone # eg:5551234567@txt.att.net

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SmartPSS 2.0 should also show you IVS Objects and lines

for linecross Fastb is right, it dont trigger when object hits the line.. it triggers when the object is half way across the line.. if that dont work for your FOV, try Intrusion Detection w/Appears and Crossing enabled.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I too have noticed that some tripwire events don't show the trigger flash. They are however recorded as events.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
some tripwire events don't show the trigger flash. They are however recorded as events
True dat.
And the skipped frames is another indication, at least in my case.
Missing video for 7:08:37, when the little wabbit crossed the trip line.
The rabbit is smaller than the minimum target box I defined. I find defining min and max targets isn't 100% rock solid.

Fastb

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys...I'll try it out with the line lengths. Been out all day. Isn't obvious from the manual..but a lot of stuff isn't..Fastb - never thought about the email/SMS but sounds great.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The SMS worked and a lot quicker. Verizon has xxxxxxx@vtext.com Only thing is the NVR has a space for only one email. The camera allows more than one email, so I entered my email & sms mail at the camera also. Will see what it does. Thanks.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Making the line length longer worked..Would be nice if the manual would mention that fact. Thanks..