Dahua NVR AI

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reading the spec sheets the newest Dahua NVR's are able to do AI processing on the back end (NVR side) and not have to rely on the camera to have the functions. Would this NVR based AI only work for Dahua cameras or does it work for cameras added in using ONVIF? I haven't found any documentation that says it. I know for Hikvision it will only provide the processing for Hikvision and Hikvision OEM cameras.... Wonder if Dahua units are the same way....

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I honestly havent tried so cant be certain, but do know that there are, depending on model, limitations as to how many channels the NVR can do AI for, and when enabling AI on the recorder, you lose 30%-4% of total bandwidth capability

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would this NVR based AI only work for Dahua cameras or does it work for cameras added in using ONVIF? I haven't found any documentation that says it.
On my NVR52x-I NVR, the AI can do for any camera which can be added.
I've used cheap AliExpress XMeye cameras, old Dahua cameras, Axis camera and Avigilon with the NVR's AI working fine. There can be issues when the camera encoding/decoding is mismatched.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It works but keep in mind it’s limited in the amount of channels it can do. I just did a Hikvision takeover where I wanted to drop a 16 ch dahua in leave the 8 hik cams and add 4 more dahua cams. I had to drop a 32 ch nvr in to accomplish because of the 4-8 ch AI by recorder limitations of a 16 ch nvr.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, just dealing with some new kit, both NVR and Cameras, here in Australia it is called WizSense

It would appear that there are 'limitations' as to how many functions you can enable at once. unfortunately the docco I have is of little use, it says to enable the camera side AI to have more, but there is no available selection on the associated camera screen all I get is AI Recorder (as in the NVR)

I 'thought' that if I had the camera do the AI processing (as in edge computing) then the NVR would be only used as the data store.

As an aside note :) the Dahua NVR sees my old Hikvision cameras using onvif...

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes but you have to log into the actual camera GUI. Dont make camera settings in the NVR of ANY kind if you don’t want problems later.
OK, that's where I am in the grey area, I don't have any storage in the cameras, mainly as the heat here in Australia can destroy them with ease, so my only storage is the NVR, so to what purpose am I logging into the camera, I know I can set options, but then how do I see the results?

Apologise if this appears a dumb ?, but I am chasing my head around the massive leap in tech since I started with CCTV, if you read the sales blurb, it gives the impression that AI is a big part of this kit, yet the reality (as far as I have got) is limited to one or two functions at a time.

Cheers

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You really must use the camera GUI for settings. You can open the camera web GUI and still see results on the NVR interface in another window. The NVR records, the camera sees. The feed from the camera determines what the NVR records.

Using the NVR to make camera settings will create issues. For one, the NVR doesn’t even have many of the settings available on the camera .

Yes, I believe in most cases the new AI capable NVR’s are pure marketing efforts unless you have old cameras without AI.