Dahua NVR and Honeywell cameras with pauses in live stream

alfred998

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR4208-8P-4KS2 and 4 Honewell H2W2PER3 cameras plugged on its PoE ports. The NVR connects to a 100Mbps switch where I have two computers that show two cameras each on two FHD monitors. Video is continuous, no motion detection. I have tried all possible settings, but my favorite would be H.265, 1080p, VBR, 20FPS, 2000Kbps upper limit. For some reason I am having lags and pauses of a few seconds randomly on all four cameras, (3-10sec every 10 minutes or so). Pauses occur on the NVR itself also when connected to a monitor.
Can you suggest a way to find out what is overloading in the NVR. The network graphic on the NVR shows below 10Mbps load.
Nothing I tried seems to affect the pauses.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Have to tried the H264 to see if the frame skipping goes away ? Troubleshoot 1 cam and see if it still happens and then add 1 each time to see when it starts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And make sure smart codecs are off on the cameras.

alfred998

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I tried 264 with as low as 15fps, 1000kbps. I didnt try Smart codec because I read somewhere it was problematic.
I will try adding one camera at a time, but it would be really interesting to read system loads on the NVR and learn what is overloading, CPU, network, whatever.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
It was still skipping @15 /1k ?
Have you also tried the monitor directly to the NVR and still have the issue?

Someplace on the nvr you should be able to see the load for each camera.. I am not if front of it right now to check ..

I never had a good experience with the 4xxx NVR's. I know they should be able to handle load but they have always been problematic for me.

I won't buy anything below the 5xxx.

alfred998

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I had lags directly at the NVR when watching with a monitor even @15/1000Kbps. Camera loads were between 250-750Kbps. 2000Kbps maximum when set at H.265, 1080p, VBR, 20FPS, 2000Kbps. I tried powering the cameras with a PSU and connect them to the NVR switch, just to exclude a PoE management, there were still lags. Only solution was to connect the cameras to an external PoE switch and connect the NVR through the gigabit port there. I suspect the realtek chip (RTL8309M) cant handle the live stream of more than one camera. So I am letting the NVR record the video and use something external for the live feed.