Dahua NVR and Wifi Option

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently have a Dahua NVR and cameras. The NVR has Ethernet ports so the cameras are on a subnet. I have setup OpenVPN and on my router have blocked all outgoing ports except 2 for the time/clock and IVS tripwire. The NVR is connected to my home network as it is on Ethernet. Unfortunately I can’t do a Vlan.

My other IOT devices are wifi and are on a separate guest network that has no access to my home network.

I was wondering about moving my Dahua to the Guest network which would require Wifi access. Anyone have experience on what USB wifi dongle works with Dahua? From a security point of view, would a guest network be better, same or worse than what I have?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IP cameras video over wireless is problematic because of the constant stream of data, no buffering....several cameras is even worse, I do not recommend.

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
IP cameras video over wireless is problematic because of the constant stream of data, no buffering....several cameras is even worse, I do not recommend.
The IP cameras all have ethernet cable connections direct to the NVR. I was wondering about changing the connection of the NVR to the home network which is currently also ethernet to a Wifi option.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IP cameras all have ethernet cable connections direct to the NVR. I was wondering about changing the connection of the NVR to the home network which is currently also ethernet to a Wifi option.
Still not advised to do. The bandwidth required could possibly slow down everything on your wifi.
Wifi for any security cam or NVR is a bad idea.
There is nothing wrong with the way you have it setup currently.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And if I am not mistaken, I believe the USB port on the NVR only supports a mouse or storage. There is no menu interface in the NVR to tell it that it is a wifi dongle. Doesn't mean it won't work, but that wasn't the intended purpose of the USB port.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps try a WiFi Extender module that has a built-in LAN port. Although these are normally intended to improve WiFi coverage, the local LAN port feature that some include would give you a place to plug-in the NVR's network cable.

For example, I have a TP Link Router and a few months ago I added their RE505X WiFi extender (both devices support TP Link's OneMesh). Does a great job at improving my WiFi signal at the far end of my house. I'm not using the built-in LAN port, but I tested it with a Dahua 5216 NVR and it worked fine.

- Thomas

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, many routers can be set up in "client mode" and then locked to your house's Wi-Fi, they plug onto the devices LAN port...I've done this many times to make wired laser printers wireless, get an older xBox onto the Internet, get an XP-based commercial vinyl sign-cutter PC onto the Internet, even make one non-critical IP cam wireless....but not an entire NVR with its several cams.

I've used probably a dozen of these and its predecessor the last 10 years, powered by USB or supplied 5VDC wall wart==>> TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR802N) - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Mobile in Pocket

TP-LINK_WR802n.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all,

My question was prompted by the following Dahua website, "Use_USB_Wifi_Adapter"

From what has been said, probably best to stick to the current setup