Dahua NVR bandwith

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

i have a dahua NVR with four cameras directly connected to NVR. I only look at the video via NVR locally.
Whenever I look in the app of my router i see a lot of tx, 4mbps. Especially when having only 25mbps available I would like to understand why this is?
1) how do I check where the NVR is sending to?
2) would a router measure and reports when the transmission is locally and therefore not affecting my isp up?

thanks!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I only look at the video via NVR locally.
How are you accessing the NVR video?

For example -
With a PC / laptop over WiFi where the router is the wireless access point?
With a PC connected to a router ethernet port?
With the NVR connected to a router ethernet port?

In other words - does the video traffic that occurs when you connect to the NVR pass through the router or its ethernet ports?

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you accessing the NVR video?

For example -
With a PC / laptop over WiFi where the router is the wireless access point?
With a PC connected to a router ethernet port?
With the NVR connected to a router ethernet port?

In other words - does the video traffic that occurs when you connect to the NVR pass through the router or its ethernet ports?
All of the above I would say. Also smart home on same lan that connects via ethernet to the NVR. Would all that traffic be reported in the router? Probably also explains that in the router if I pause the internet connection of the NVR that number on traffic does not go down. So in essence it is not eating up my bandwith from my isp and I should not worry about it?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Nick1979, like @alastairstevenson wrote: there are couple of "possible" network flows: eg if you connect from wifi to your router, then the data flows from the NVR (cabled) to the router and the router sends it to the wifi

In other words: you should look at your router statistics: is that 4mbps WAN (wide area network, meaning your internet ISP uplink/downling) of LAN bandwidth (for that you have (at least) 100mbps available).

Can you show us a screenshot of that "bandwidth" overview?

The "easiest" test there is: open your app and watch the NVR video feed. Unplug your uplink to the internet (WAN cable). If you still see 4mbps and the stream does not stop, you are good to go.

In any case: you are doing good to investigate "leaking" videos, so make sure no open ports, nor UPnP nor other leaky sneaky backdoors.

Good luck!
CC

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Nick1979, like @alastairstevenson wrote: there are couple of "possible" network flows: eg if you connect from wifi to your router, then the data flows from the NVR (cabled) to the router and the router sends it to the wifi

In other words: you should look at your router statistics: is that 4mbps WAN (wide area network, meaning your internet ISP uplink/downling) of LAN bandwidth (for that you have (at least) 100mbps available).

Can you show us a screenshot of that "bandwidth" overview?

The "easiest" test there is: open your app and watch the NVR video feed. Unplug your uplink to the internet (WAN cable). If you still see 4mbps and the stream does not stop, you are good to go.

In any case: you are doing good to investigate "leaking" videos, so make sure no open ports, nor UPnP nor other leaky sneaky backdoors.

Good luck!
CC
Getting a netgear orbi mesh tomorrow for other reasons. But this amplifihd router is not even showing the difference between wan and lan I believe. Will do some testing tomorrow as you mention and update here. Thanks both, appreciated!