Dahua NVR Basic Operation

Reaction score
After running through the Dahua DHI-NVR2108HS-8P-S2 manual and doing some testing with a Dahua / EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE I have a few questions that I hope someone can support me with.

1. I have the Camera connected through a switch currently. I understand that it can / maybe should be connected directly to the NVR. I'm having issues getting the motion dectection to work, so this may be the issue. I wanted to check 1st.

2. The camera does a lot of the detection, correct and triggers the NVR to start recording? So in the case of my camera, I should configure the dection parts on the camera and then enable motion section on the NVR also.

The fact I have the camera connected tot he NVR via switch may be the cause of why I cannot get the motion detection to work?

Thanks for any support and advice.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I set everything on the camera. The only thing I set on the NVR is the recording schedule. Set it to record motion, IVS (intelligent) and Full time recording on all channels. Set everything else, motion zones, sensitivity, IVS rules and all image controls on the camera.

see this post

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

1. So setting motions zones act on the camera lets the camera do the work and the NVR is basically only responsible for recording when the camera tells it to?
2. Since no comment on the camera being connected to the switch rather than the NVR itself, is this an issue?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It should not make any difference whether the camera is plugged directly into the NVR or through a switch. All of the communication is through data packets, and if some get through they all should get through. I don't use the same series NVR, so can only make general comments. There are a few places in the NVR where recording for various features needs to be enabled. Places to look on the NVR for motion detection are on the Alarm/Video Detection screen, look for Record Channel and Schedule. For IVS look on the AI/Parameters/IVS screen. For IVS to work, Smart Plan needs to be enabled. One more place to look at is Setting/Storage/Schedule.

If you are trying to use motion detection, you will be much better off using IVS features like line crossing and intrusion boxes instead. In most situations, motion detection gives so many false positives that what you really want to see gets lost in the noise. Make all of the camera setting while logged into the camera. Doing them via the NVR interface is hit-and-miss.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When setting IVS, even setting smart plan can be done on the camera. No need to ever touch IVS on the NVR ;)

Make it a habit to make ALL changes, other than the recording schedule, on the camera. It will push those settings back to the NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Btw - email is the only thing a bit different

If connected to the NVR PoE switch ports, the camera can’t get out to send email. So set it (camera) to send email (tick the box) on the IVS or motion detector screen, but no need to setup SMTP settings under networking on camera for email. Set SMTP/email on the NVR. The camera will tell the NVR an event occurred and the NVR will send the email for it.

On a camera connected to an external switch, on the same network as the NVR for example, the camera can now access the Interwebs directly, so you can configure SMTP on the camera itself.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Review post#2 on the PSA for recording