Dahua NVR briefly dropping all channels

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My 16 Channel Dahua NVR as of yesterday once about every 20 to 30 minutes will drop all the channels and just be black boxes but only for about 2 to 3 seconds then they all pop back up. I watched a camera on the webUI and it does not seem to go down so I am thinking it is NVR related, also does not see to ba able to access via SmartPS. Iv'e reboot the NVR a few times already as well.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Bret_FL,

about every 20 to 30 minutes will drop all the channels and just be black boxes but only for about 2 to 3 seconds then they all pop back up.
When viewing, are you using the native UI of the NVR, or the web UI of the NVR?
If you can use the native UI (using a monitor connected to the NVR directly [HDMI or VGA], this would eliminate your lan as a suspect.

I watched a camera on the webUI and it does not seem to go down
To clarify, you surfed into the camera's webUI directly? Meaning your surfed through a switch/router that is between your NVR and cameras, correct?
This also means you don't have a POE-nvr.
Please confirm your cams are wired (and not WiFi)

does not see to be able to access via SmartPSS
This is interesting, please share more info.
What is running SmartPSS? Laptop, PC, etc.
How is the SmartPSS computer connected to the NVR? Wired lan, WiFi lan, or some WAN method across the internet?
Did your network have any recent changes?
On the computer running SmartPSS, can you surf in to the NVR webUI? Can you ping the NVR?
If you can ping the NVR, then setup a continuous ping, ie: "ping 192.168.1.108 -t" (without quotes). When the dropout event occurs next time, check if pings were also dropped.

Fastb

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NVR is not Poe. Switches and Poe are in different locations throughout the house all wired back to the router, only wire running to the NVR is from the router. The NVR is connected to a monitor via HDMI cable where I do most of the general viewing.
The NVR . The NVR seems to come and go when trying to connect remotely as to wether it's showing up as on the network. When I first open hdmms directed at the NVR I can usually view a channel for a f. ew seconds or two then it disappears. The NVR always seems to show up on the client list on the router with its regular ip. I may try and disconnect it today from the router and see if I ping that ip to make sure something else not using it but nothing showing up on router as a conflict.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It stops pinging the NVR Ip then shortly after the cameras drop offline then it returns and the pop back up. I notice today it seems to be happening more frequently too

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You're onto something here.

I watched a camera on the webUI and it does not seem to go down so I am thinking it is NVR related,
Q1: Plz confirm you surfed into the cam's webUI, and didn't view the cam through the nvr webUI. I suspect you surfed to the cam directly, but I want to make sure.

Another test, set your NVR for continuous recording (as vs "record on event") Later, check playback.
Q2: Are there gaps?
A2: If "no gaps", then your cam network (at least) is remaining up, the cams video reaches the NVR, and video is getting recorded.
Meaning your NVR is dropping off a functioning network.
Meaning an ip conflict of the NVR's ip addr may be the culprit, as you suspected.

A2: If "there are gaps", run the continuous ping test on one of the cams. Does it drop off when the NVR goes dark? What does log fille say?

Q3: Check the log file on the NVR. From NVR webUI screen (which is handy for me right now), it's under: INFO, LOG. On the nvr native UI screen, it's something similar. Check the log file for items at the timestamp of when the NVR disappeared. What was logged?

Q4:
Please confirm your cams and NVR are wired (and not WiFi)
When I view my NVR using a wifi connected laptop, I lose cams when the microwave oven fires up. All cams are wired, it's just my laptop wifi link to the cam/nvr subnet that is affected.

Q5:
Did your network have any recent changes?
Let's leave no stone unturned....

Q6:
You say it's happening more frequently today. Any hunches why?
- Is the nvr in a really hot room, and today was warmer than usual?
- Lotta lan activity (netflix, music, file transfers, etc)

Fastb

Last edited:

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually seemed to be working fine today. I will check the vents and fan though later when I get home. It's in a clean cool environment.