Dahua NVR + Cams - recommendations needed

josh43

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm building a new house that will be used primarily as an Airbnb, and I'm planning to setup 3 security cameras - two out the front (capturing different areas/angles), and one down the side of the house. Only need to clearly record up to 10-12m away for each camera.
The hardware I'm planning on using is as follows:
As far as required security features, one of the primary things I'm looking for is the ability to count the number of people entering/exiting the building (so I can see if the guests are having more people over than what they booked for).
Also, being able to record day/night in reasonable detail will be required, with features such as motion detection so I can easily locate/review potential security incidents as required. I would assume all Dahua cameras can do this as standard (e.g., starlight, motion detection features)
It's a very quiet regional area of Australia, so we don't experience much crime at all, So I don't really need features such as intrusion detection.

A couple of questions:
  1. The NVR can record up to 16MP, however, the cameras are 8MP. Does this mean the NVR can theoretically only record 16MP total, so, for example, 6MP from the two front cameras, and 4MP from the side camera?
  2. Will the cameras I have selected above work wit the "people counting" capability that Dahua offers?
  3. Any other comments on the NVR and Camera setup I've mentioned, in regards to the information I've provided about how I'll be using them?

Thanks in advance. Please let me know if you need any more info to answer my questions.

Cheers,

Josh

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Josh, Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here and a lot of experience.
I learned pretty much everything I know from the guys here. So this is pretty much what others will tell you. Looney2ns information is spot on.

1. I agree that you should go with an 8 port NVR. I cannot prove it by the spec sheet but an NVR that can decode 8 cameras should have a more capable processor. The specs only say "Industrial-grade processor" on both of them. They both say "Max. decoding capability: 16 × 1080p@30 fps". I take this to mean 16 cameras at 1080p and 30 frames/second. A 1080p is 2MP so it can decode 16 2MP cameras, half that at 4MP and half again at 8MP. So it can decode 4 8MP cameras at 30 fps. 30 fps is probably more than is needed so dropping it to 15 might lighten your load.

2. The camera you linked does not mention people counting in the spec but the NVR does so you are good there. Generally speaking, the first number of the model is how smart it is. You linked to a 3 and Looney2ns linked to a 5. His is smarter than yours. Also if you look at the CMOS size, even though they are "weird" numbers, they are fractions. The one you linked is 1/2.8" and Looney2ns linked one is 1/1.8" So you are going to cram 8MP on a 1/3" chip vs 4MP on 1/2" chip. Think of all that info on your pinky nail or half that information on your thumb nail. The 4MP will be more legible. The 5442 is also varifocal. What this means to you is that you can Zoom to a certain level. So if you order a camera and find that you wish that gate appeared a little closer, this one will do that. A fixed focal like the 3866 cannot be changed you are stuck with the 2.8 or 3.6.

3. I do not know if you already asked Andy for a quote but it will only cost you an email to find out what he can do for you. His website shows a 4 camera setup which match what Looney2ns recommends above for $1000 American. I do not know conversion rate but talking to him is worth a shot.

I have only regurgitated what I learned from the WIKI and the wealth of experience from the group. Read up and enjoy.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Empire Tech Andy is a valuable member of this forum and provides preferential pricing to the members so please mention ipcamtalk when you touch base with him. He sells Dahua international products and supports the products he sells.