DAHUA NVR Comparison

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These days some guys asking me how to select NVR for the Dahua cameras, if support IVS or something else.
Here i post a picture for the details, hope can help someone who are eager to know.

Attachments

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What does the last column mean ?

Like not all moddells support ivs, or is this something more ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
What does the last column mean ?

Like not all moddells support ivs, or is this something more ?
Yes, right now only the 6xxx can support. I ask dahua to send me this file today, so should be the right one.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, and to make it more clear, can you also explain what the content of that field means?

So 2 channel IVS would mean only for 2 attached cameras the IVS function will work ?

Or does it mean that for a non IVS camera the NVR can apply the IVS functionality for only 2 of the connected camera's

There is a world of difference between those 2, so good explanation needs to go along with this sheet.

Edit: after reading some documents, Dahua seems to mean with Front-end the Camera, and with Back-end thing like smart ipc, and thus perhaps also the NVR.

For example this documeny on nvr's reference a sort of the same table which has some explanation under it:
http://www.tssgroup.cz/documents/nvr4208-8p-4k/sdilene/datasheety - datasheety - datasheets/dahua nvr přehled inteligentních funkcí.xls

There they claim that the nvr6k has unlimited ivs for front end, and back-end 2 channel.
So that would mean that some nvr can do x channel of ivs on the image also (undependent of the camera supporting it i assume)

The cheapest nvr 6K modell on aliexpress seems to be
NVR608-32-4KS2
This is like 600+ euro (BEC has it with USA power plug much cheaper than EU power plug as in 524 v.s 687 € or something like it)

So the NVR4X-4KS2 and the NVR5X-4KS2 would have also unlimited front end ivs support (only in the camera)

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, and to make it more clear, can you also explain what the content of that field means?

So 2 channel IVS would mean only for 2 attached cameras the IVS function will work ?

Or does it mean that for a non IVS camera the NVR can apply the IVS functionality for only 2 of the connected camera's

There is a world of difference between those 2, so good explanation needs to go along with this sheet.

Edit: after reading some documents, Dahua seems to mean with Front-end the Camera, and with Back-end thing like smart ipc, and thus perhaps also the NVR.

For example this documeny on nvr's reference a sort of the same table which has some explanation under it:
http://www.tssgroup.cz/documents/nvr4208-8p-4k/sdilene/datasheety - datasheety - datasheets/dahua nvr přehled inteligentních funkcí.xls

There they claim that the nvr6k has unlimited ivs for front end, and back-end 2 channel.
So that would mean that some nvr can do x channel of ivs on the image also (undependent of the camera supporting it i assume)

The cheapest nvr 6K modell on aliexpress seems to be
NVR608-32-4KS2
This is like 600+ euro (BEC has it with USA power plug much cheaper than EU power plug as in 524 v.s 687 € or something like it)

So the NVR4X-4KS2 and the NVR5X-4KS2 would have also unlimited front end ivs support (only in the camera)

I am a bit confused now,

I was told by some of the sellers that NVR4X-4KS does not have IVS features since it a "PRO" series and only the "ULTRA" series have the IVS feature and other sellers said it does have IVS but they could not provide me a photo of the iVS in the configuration menu before I buy it. So I won't buy it unit I see proof in photo showing IVS on the menu.

However the document you found stated that NVR4X******* have IVS.

The ULTRA series only start with 32 channels or more that why the price is higher since there is no 4,8,16 channels NVR in the ULTRA series.

I suspect that either seller is not up to date on which firmware have the IVS feature in the PRO series since one of the member nayr have a NVR4X with IVS feature but he also mentioned that when he upgraded the firmware, IVS was removed so perhaps Dahua decided to take it out and only have it in ULTRA line to attract buyers to purchase it.

From what I am reading here now that NVR4x "PRO" does support IVS if that features in already in the cameras and NVR6X "UTLRA" does support IVS within the NVR itself and will work on cameras that does not have a built in IVS?

correct?

Bill

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps my English is not good enough to explain what i think.

IVS in the NVR Ultra cant do IVS for camera's which have no IVS function. So the NVR can do the same than what camera's do which support IVS. CPU in camera can do 1 or 2 IVS functions.
NVR with faster CPU can do more channels of IVS functions. (Faster is more expensive)

So the 4xxx en 5xxx NVR support IVS from the camera with IVS.

I suspect you can see on the timeline in the NVR a seperate colour for an IVS event which is different than general motion alert (this is how it is with hikvision what is simular i guess)

I see IVS as a better detection mechanism than the general motion detection so it will consume more CPU cycles of a device to execute. Lower lines support less as less powerfull CPU, or it is simple market mechanism to have different lines with different functions on basic the same hardware (like Cisco does for routers with licenses, go from 500 mbps to 1000 mbps if you pay for an power license)

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps my Engels is not good enough to explain what i think.

IVS in the NVR Ultra cant do IVS for camera's which have no IVS function. So the NVR can do the same than what camera's do which support IVS. CPU in camera can do 1 or 2 IVS functions.

NVR with faster CPU can do more channels of IVS functions. (Faster is more expensive)

What does it mean in the document that NVR4X can do "Smart IPC (unlimited)" under IVS? I was thinking that NVR4X can do unlimited IVS as long camera have that feature built in ie. "Smart IPC" cameras??

Can anyone explain? I am still trying to learn here

Thank you
Bill

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you have it right. If you have smart ipc camera the 4xxx modells support as much of them as they have channels as the cpu in the camera does the calculations, and the nvr only accepts a flag in the recording that it was a smart ipc/ivs recording.

But i rather have Andy or dahua explain this better to avoid guess work.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you have it right. If you have smart ipc camera the 4xxx modells support as much of them as they have channels as the cpu in the camera does the calculations, and the nvr only accepts a flag in the recording that it was a smart ipc/ivs recording.

I hope so, I really wanted the NVR4X since I will be using those new Starlight lineup from Dahua which supposely have IVS support already included in the camera. '

I think NVR6X is kind of an overkill to use for a home video security but what cool about the NVR6X that it seem to accept any brand ONVIF supported IP camera even if it doesn't have a IVS feature build in.

Andy, can you help and explain it more about the IVS support on each NVR?

Thank you

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my 4216-4k has IVS for cameras that support it; but its only configurable through the OSD on my firmware version.. the WebUI's IVS Configuration is not exposed; and SmartPSS for Mac does not yet include IVS Support (the windows version does).

It does work though; just a pain in the arse for me right now until they update the mac SmartPSS since I dont use the OSD very much (only to config IVS)

Some firmware for my NVR ive found online removed IVS entirely.. so I keep reverting back to the firmware it came with

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

I chatted with Andy today and he contacted Dahua . They told Andy yes that some of those lesser NVR model will support IVS as long camera have that functionality built in

I ordered a NVR5216-4KS2 and one Starlight 4231 from Andy tonight. I plan to order the Starlight 5241 when Andy get more in stock but I wanted a IVS camera to test it when I get my NVR

Bill

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice, please test and let us know if the current firmware on the nvr supports it indeed.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice, please test and let us know if the current firmware on the nvr supports it indeed.
I will update on here and maybe post a review of the NVR is there isn't one in the forum yet by someone else

Bill

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey there, send a PM to andy (empirecandy) to get quotes on the Dahua products you want and he will follow up. andy has a store on aliexpress.com showing all Dahua items they carry but i don't have the link to it at the moment.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
right now i think the best and cost saving one is NVR5216-16P-4KS2, 2HDD ones and suits for small project or home using.
If need more HDD, then NVR5416-16P-4KS2(Support 4HDD) or NVR5816-16P-4KS2(Support 8HDD)
NVR608-32-4KS2 support (8HDD)