Dahua NVR, footage randomly getting deleted??

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dahua NVR 4216-16P-4KS
this has happened a few times now over the last few months and i dont know what is going on. had an event very early saturday morning i reviewed no problem following day, took some screen shots of the things, now yesterday i went to download the footage for it and it had disappeared. i have 2.5 days worth of footage missing from thursday to the point i checked it yesterday there are no recordings on the NVR. i restarted NVR and it started recording again.
anyone know whats going on here with footage randomly deleting??

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Never seen that, unless a HD is going south

1- How are you certain the video is missing? Are there other cameras recording but not that particular one? Or are NO cameras recording? Again how are you accessing the footage to determine that? Directly on the NVR search tab? Through the web GUI?
2- Is your NVR port forwarding for remote access?
3- What do the logs show if anything?
4 - What do the Storage tabs look like
storage4.jpg storage2.jpg storage1.jpg storage3.jpg

I think there's a Disk Check utility, though mine seems to not work?

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i dont have check disk on mine and on latest firmware.
video files are missing as they are not there both remotely and locally on nvr directly, nothing shows for a few days and if you continue playing from where it stops it just skips a few days to where it started recording again.
yes port forward for remote access
all those storage tabs look like yours
cant find logs remotely, are they only available when in front of nvr??
see attached, the dates where footage is not there any more but used to as i replayed it a couple of times saturday afternoon and it was there.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How many days recording do you show now? Still have the 2.5 day gap?

Im no HD expert so cant say from those logs...
I just cant think of anything that would delete partial data on the HD (2.5 days) like that.

Only other thing I can think of is something messup up with your ability to search the data

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still got that 2.5 days gap there. around 2.5 weeks in total recordings there.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hard drive problems? connection to cams problem (check logs in cams)?

Do you reset NVR / cams once per week?
When they run to long, sometime things like that happens...

You can schedule in system configuration reboot of NVR and all cams once per week at some specific time.
it can be the same for NVR and cams (then You will have a few minutes missing recording) or You can randomise time for NVR and each cam (in this case NVR will download missing video from cams after reboot).

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hard drive problems? connection to cams problem (check logs in cams)?

Do you reset NVR / cams once per week?
When they run to long, sometime things like that happens...

You can schedule in system configuration reboot of NVR and all cams once per week at some specific time.
it can be the same for NVR and cams (then You will have a few minutes missing recording) or You can randomise time for NVR and each cam (in this case NVR will download missing video from cams after reboot).
never had this issue with any NVR i have used in the past for the last 15 years, still doesn't explain why a section of footage was there one day and gone the next for ALL cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep thinking it has something to do with record schedule and time...like the NVR is recording a different day all of a sudden and loses the link in time to the previous recorded footage.
Im not explaining it well but I have seen similar before when putting previously used HDs into a new NVR. Old footage ended lets say Tuesday at 10am, new footage starts on Wednesday, big block of time missing, or the day/date gets messed up on the NVR and it thinks its now Thursday and so no recording for 1/2 of Tuesday and Wednesday..?

Just spitballing

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your HDD is probably dying. In my experience when I lose segments of video on the Dahua nvr, and I’ve seen timeline slices missing, the camera is about to die and sure enough a week later it craps out.

If you can’t retrieve an entire segment for all cameras, the hdd is dying. Make sure you use surveillance grade HDD designed for intensive writes.

I plugged a surveillance grade Skyhawk in my 5432 with no issues and then I decided to be goofy and plugged in a second used normal 7.2K Seagate Barracuda and sure enough within 10 months it crapped out in the NVR. I was trying to expand the space.