Dahua NVR for DMSS app

Aruson

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

First post! Still in the early stages of planning and very new to this all.

I've read a little bit about the PoE ports creating a separate network for the cameras which may prevent access to the camera feeds. If I'm looking to use the DMSS app for remote viewing and alerts, does it matter whether I get the NVR with or without PoE?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have my gDMSS app connected to my NVR...not the individual cameras. So, no, it shouldn't matter.

Personally I got the non Poe NVR for a couple reasons, 1) it was quieter - one fan vs two 2) it was cheaper 2A) cheaper but then you gotta buy a poe switch...or two...or three 3) I have cameras in 3 totally separate areas of my property (a couple on my house, a couple on my shed and a couple on my barn).... running one line from the main switch in my house to a Poe switch at each of the two other locations allowed me to connect multiple cams at each of those locations to the switch instead of running a separate line from each camera back to my house. Considering the two other locations are a barn and a shed, 80 and 200+ ft from my house, having one line to each of those locations was a lot better in my mind.

If you are can easily run lines from your cameras back to the NVR, and can deal with the noise, then sure get the poe nvr.

I'm just giving you some things to think about.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also I use the gDMSS app for alerts and remote viewing of recorded video...but use the tinycam app for all my live viewing. Tinycam pro is a great app and well worth the money.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm. I've never purchased from them so I don't know. Andy is a great seller that's active on this forum for a long time and really supports the community here.

Contact Andy at @EMPIRETECANDY and your guaranteed to have a good buying experience. I paid $260 shipped for my NVR5216-4KS2 a year or so ago. Also remember you'll need a hard drive. I got a 4TB Western digital purple drive for $134 shipped from Amazon a year or so ago.

Also how many cameras are you planning on getting? I've got 6 already... really glad I got the 16 channel model (yes even if you get a non Poe version you need to choose how many channels you want.)

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also your link description says those are 16 channel models but the actual page shows both the 8 and the 16 with a price range. Make sure you know what you're buying.

Aruson

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll get in touch with him. It looks like everyone loves him.

Silly question, but it seems like the NVR4xxx-4KS2 models are more expensive than the NVR5xxx-4KS2, but they seem older and have less features? What's the difference?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 4 is their lite series and the 5 is the pro series. You can probably find more info than that on their website.

4208 stands for
4 - lite series
2 - two hard drive bays
08 - 8 channel

5216 stands for
5 - pro series
2 - two hard drive bays
16 - 16 channel