Dahua NVR for Farm

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question on which NVR to order from Andy. I wanted to setup a NVR at my dads farm. He passed away and the property is vacant. This is a rural property with no internet. I just want to set up 3 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE's that will record to a NVR. I visit the property once a week to cut the grass, etc. and I want to review tape in case of theft/vandalism issues arise. I just want to do a dump of video files onto a portable hardrive to take home and review.

Any thoughts or recommendations to these NVR's listed below so I can place the order? I am looking for decent quality and durability as it will be placed in a shed that endures various temperature changes of a Southern Ontario/Michigan environment.

NVR4108-8P-4KS2?
NVR4208-8P-4KS2
NVR5208-8P

or anything else you suggest. I assume a 4gb hdd will be plenty if cameras set to record motion events?

Thank you, I really appreciate some advice.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You just need a basic 4 channel recorder from your description. What you need to consider moving forward is, will you need more cameras, would you use alarm inputs or outputs, are you ever going to have internet at the property, or at least in the next 5 years. If you answer no to these questions, the basic 4 channel 4k nvr will work. I would put the biggest HDD in the machine that you can afford and that it will hold. I would also set your priority cameras on continuous recording and motion at the same time so that you don't miss anything. Installing cameras with SD cards in them isn't a bad idea for this install either. This way if the unit fails for some reason, you have a backup. I would put in a good battery back up to keep things rolling if the power goes out of if there is a surge. We install these recorders in NEMA boxes down here in the South Florida heat and they last for quite a while as long as there is some ventilation. Michigan - Ontario heat can't be any worse than here. Also, use a turret so that you don't have to worry about wiping cob webs and soot off of the camera everytime you are up there. Turrets have the best IR also, for pitch black applications.

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply. I won't be adding anymore cameras other than maybe just one more. There will never be internet there as can only get 10mb down and 1mb up (advertised but likely actually slower) and it is $100 a month with a 2 year contract. I will try your suggestions for settings. What size SD card for the cameras do you suggest? Yeah, I will get a battery backup as power outages do happen more frequently there than in city. I will order a 6tb hdd. Thanks again for the input.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you can do all right with a 32gb card in each camera. I don't know specifics, but if the recorder goes down or is stolen, the cameras will have the last 12-24 hours I would think. There may be more info here on what size card and how much video they can hold. If you have the electrical ability, and you are worried about the heat, add a cheap $10 fan that blows on the recorder too.

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I will grab a couple 32gb cards. I can setup a fan on a thermostat switch similar to what I use for the water pumphouse electric heater for the winter as well. Thanks.

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you access the cameras SD cards with the NVR only? I won't have a computer at this location and looking for the best way to get those files from the camers.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You will need a laptop or pc to access the SD cards. You can keep the SD cards in the camera and use them for an emergency in the case that the recorder goes down or the HDD goes down, or you can pull the SD cards every week and replace with a spare set. Playing back video may be easier from an sd card then from a HDD dump.