Dahua NVR + Home assistant.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5442-s3 models are called 54ir-s3 varifocals, do they support ptz controls at all? I can zoom in the admin console but I havent found any methods via onvif profile t with onvif, webrtc, restful api, etc for home assistant. Is it basically just set it and forget it? No way to track or at least zoom on home assistant?
Varifocal cameras are not designed to be moving the lens in and out on a regular basis. Set the field of view you need, then leave them be.

Reactions: Gdc

Archy54

n3wb
Reaction score
Cheers, figured that might be the case. Kinda hoped they had the same ptz motor.

If I got a PTZ is it ok to break the 4mp 1/8"rule to save money.

PTZ5A4M-25X would be lovely but that's 700+ usd so 1500aud lol
EmpireTech Starlight 4MP 25x 1/2.8" CMOS IR Smart PTZ Camera, 5mm–125mm Lens, Auto-Tracking Support,Perimeter Protection, Face Detection, SMD 3.0, IP66, IK10 Protection, Mini PTZ Camera PTZ425DB-AT - Was679 AUD, only one spot I was thinking of one day. I know the lowlight will be sacrificed, it's not really a major need as I'm probably gonna just get the varifocals tz54s3's (got 2 already and they are nice). Got frigate NVR setup. Haven't tested blue iris yet enough.

But I am wondering can I do ANPR (via external software not nvr as steve said I believe) with that ptz425DB-AT or do you really need the ptz5am-25x - Would be running on blue iris hopefully which I have to setup (Trying to find a spare hdd). Still not sure if I need the NVR or if frigate + blue iris can cover the features.

One option locally is the nvr5432-16p-ai/anz which I know is limited, 700 dollars + 450 for a 10tb wd purple. I was thinking more to save for a decent server with i5 14600k or i7 14700k, 64or96gb ram ddr5, Hailo8 Nvme (27TOPS vs corals 2tops?), 4060ti 16gb, 4 wd RED's for a nas 10tb or so each + 1-2wd purples, i226v 2.5gbe nic (I run proxmox with a bunch of VM's and LXCs, home assistant, etc). The 16p-xi I only see on aliexpress for 2k lol. Hard decision. Acupic looks cool, but if I can save700-2000 not buying an NVR, my "dream" server is 5400 (NAS, CCTV, etc).

One important question. Are these cameras waterproof/rainproof? I live in a high rainfall area. Thanks heaps for the help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, figured that might be the case. Kinda hoped they had the same ptz motor.

If I got a PTZ is it ok to break the 4mp 1/8"rule to save money.

PTZ5A4M-25X would be lovely but that's 700+ usd so 1500aud lol
EmpireTech Starlight 4MP 25x 1/2.8" CMOS IR Smart PTZ Camera, 5mm–125mm Lens, Auto-Tracking Support,Perimeter Protection, Face Detection, SMD 3.0, IP66, IK10 Protection, Mini PTZ Camera PTZ425DB-AT - Was679 AUD, only one spot I was thinking of one day. I know the lowlight will be sacrificed, it's not really a major need as I'm probably gonna just get the varifocals tz54s3's (got 2 already and they are nice). Got frigate NVR setup. Haven't tested blue iris yet enough.

But I am wondering can I do ANPR (via external software not nvr as steve said I believe) with that ptz425DB-AT or do you really need the ptz5am-25x - Would be running on blue iris hopefully which I have to setup (Trying to find a spare hdd). Still not sure if I need the NVR or if frigate + blue iris can cover the features.

One option locally is the nvr5432-16p-ai/anz which I know is limited, 700 dollars + 450 for a 10tb wd purple. I was thinking more to save for a decent server with i5 14600k or i7 14700k, 64or96gb ram ddr5, Hailo8 Nvme (27TOPS vs corals 2tops?), 4060ti 16gb, 4 wd RED's for a nas 10tb or so each + 1-2wd purples, i226v 2.5gbe nic (I run proxmox with a bunch of VM's and LXCs, home assistant, etc). The 16p-xi I only see on aliexpress for 2k lol. Hard decision. Acupic looks cool, but if I can save700-2000 not buying an NVR, my "dream" server is 5400 (NAS, CCTV, etc).

One important question. Are these cameras waterproof/rainproof? I live in a high rainfall area. Thanks heaps for the help.
I have found that at night, PTZs are even more critical to have on the ideal MP/sensor ratio because the PTZ has the focal length to zoom further out, so your range is quite limited if not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

PTZs can be used for ANPR but at night, they can only be used for plate reading. Due to the speed the shutter needs to be, it can't serve double duty of watching other things and then switch to plates because at the faster shutter speeds everything will be black and unlike a fixed cam where you can manually set the focus to a number, PTZs don't have that ability, so it would need to basically become a fixed lens camera at night and be set to that specific field of view before night time so that there is enough light to get a focus.

Most of us have found AcuPick is gimmicky and not useful in a home setting.

These cameras are rated for water and many folks in wet areas like Seattle have used them for years exposed outside.

Archy54

n3wb
Reaction score
Cheers. Should I even bother with a dahua NVR? or put that money to a server. ATM I have frigate NVR running coral ai on optiplexes, just not sure what I will miss out on without the NVR. It's another 7-900 + 400ish for hdd, I'm kinda hoping wishfully BI + CPAI and Frigate NVR will be able to replace the nvr completely but I'm not sure about the metadata. I'll give the PTZ a miss, bit out of my budget in current circumstances. There was someone on alibaba saying they have the NVR5216-16P-XI New Dahua AcuPick 16CH 1U 16POE 2HDDs WizMind Network Video Recorder NVR5216-16P-XI for 900, they say it's international version for $900 aud shipped to me.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheers. Should I even bother with a dahua NVR? or put that money to a server. ATM I have frigate NVR running coral ai on optiplexes, just not sure what I will miss out on without the NVR. It's another 7-900 + 400ish for hdd, I'm kinda hoping wishfully BI + CPAI and Frigate NVR will be able to replace the nvr completely but I'm not sure about the metadata. I'll give the PTZ a miss, bit out of my budget in current circumstances. There was someone on alibaba saying they have the NVR5216-16P-XI New Dahua AcuPick 16CH 1U 16POE 2HDDs WizMind Network Video Recorder NVR5216-16P-XI for 900, they say it's international version for $900 aud shipped to me.
Absolutely, keep using your Frigate server and Coral TPU unit.
A 2nd Blue Iris, or xProtect, or Nx Witness, or Frigate server can all work together.

It's about your network setup of the cameras. If the servers have access to each camera, then it can login and start recording video from them.