Dahua NVR Lightning Strike

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There was a lighning strike nearby which killed some access points, and Dahua NVR. NVR will not power on, and I have atempted a power reset. In cases like this, are the replacement boards that can be purchased, or is it easier to just buy a new NVR?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was a lighning strike nearby which killed some access points, and Dahua NVR. NVR will not power on, and I have atempted a power reset. In cases like this, are the replacement boards that can be purchased, or is it easier to just buy a new NVR?
Does the NVR have an external power supply or is it internal, like a PC ?

Model # couldn't hurt.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I would think that board could be questionable going forward, Maybe you can find the same model on Ebay, used, but working and just buy the whole thing. Oh wait nevermind. LOL

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no question in my mind that if easier is the main priority, buying a new NVR is the answer. Even if the parts were easily available, which I think is not the case, you don't know at this point if you need to replace the power supply and/or main board, and/or disk. It could be as simple as replacing a blown fuse, or everything in the case could be fried. If it were me I'd spend a lot of time troubleshooting hoping to save the NVR, likely an unwise choice. I did that a few years ago with some A/V equipment fried by a nearby lightning strike. Spent a lot of time identifying what had failed, only to determine that salvaging any of it was infeasible.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's no question in my mind that if easier is the main priority, buying a new NVR is the answer. Even if the parts were easily available, which I think is not the case, you don't know at this point if you need to replace the power supply and/or main board, and/or disk. It could be as simple as replacing a blown fuse, or everything in the case could be fried. If it were me I'd spend a lot of time troubleshooting hoping to save the NVR, likely an unwise choice. I did that a few years ago with some A/V equipment fried by a nearby lightning strike. Spent a lot of time identifying what had failed, only to determine that salvaging any of it was infeasible.
Thank you. I was thinking slimy buying a new one would be the path of least resistance, based on the price. I did not think about the main board or HDD.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you. I was thinking slimy buying a new one would be the path of least resistance, based on the price. I did not think about the main board or HDD.
Replacing all of the hardware in the home doesn't address the need to have a properly tiered surge / lightning protection system in place. Nor, does it touch upon the importance of having a properly bonded Earth ground connected to the home. Having a grounding system in place also does not tell you if the same is low resistance (Below 5~ 50 Ohms depending upon local codes) .

This also doesn't address any faults you have created in the home now which negates any properly working grounding system.

IE. Every outdoor ethernet run you have in place is literally an antenna. Waiting for a collect call from God / Thor. Anything you have grounded and isn't tied to the homes single point grounding system. Has essentially created a ground loop and potential difference from the main Earth ground at the service entrance (meter).

Some real world problems just waiting blow your home apart:

• Extension cords: If you have any laying outside or coiled up you have a lightning entry
  • Clothes Line: If you have one of those spinning clothes lines or even worse a long cable run - you have a lightning entry
  • Metal Fence: If you strung along anything on that metal fence and it connects to the homes 120 VAC: Lightning entry
  • Garden Lights: Again, if you have a string of lights that exceed 25 feet and its powered by a 120 VAC outlet: Lightning entry
  • Sprinkler: Same as above . . .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has an internal power supply. Dhi-nvr4208-8p-4ks2
Understood.
Was hoping if it was an external 12VDC 4 amp unit or a 52VDC unit for POE you could possibly swap it out to see.
But if the ESD was induced on the CAT-5 camera runs it's more likely MUCH worse an involves more than just the power supply, like the main board.
Time to get that new NVR you wanted and look into the issues raised by @Teken !

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understood.
Was hoping if it was an external 12VDC 4 amp unit or a 52VDC unit for POE you could possibly swap it out to see.
But if the ESD was induced on the CAT-5 camera runs it's more likely MUCH worse an involves more than just the power supply, like the main board.
At least all cams are functioning. I fully exll
Understood.
Agreed. Luckily, all cams all functioning.