Dahua NVR, looking for options, opinions, etc.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should have mentioned not to install or mess with the PC-NVR component.

SmartPSS is actually two components, the viewer/playback part and a VMS part that uses your PC for storage. The VMS part is not so good. I wouldnt recommend it. But for Live View/Playback/Downloading clips it works great.
I was wondering about PC-NVR, it seems that it just looks for PC storage. If I have my camera added to smart pss and tell my camera to record locally to my 'test' folder, then I don't see why I need PC-NVR. Would I only need PC-NVR if I didn't want an NVR and wanted to use my PC and the PC's storage for recording the cameras? I can exit/uninstall it or just not configure/use it.

I do want to try to export video to see my options, do I need an NVR connected to do that or is there a way to test that within smart pss (as if I had an NVR).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah just dont bother with the PC-NVR component.

If you cans see the camera and its storing video you should be able to download from it, onboard card?

Kinda tricky at first
Get video up and pause at point you want to begin record
click scissor icon which places the beginning marker
Now go to far right of timeline and click and grab the end marker. It takes a bit to get the hang of it, and drag it to where you want to end.
download1.jpg
Click the scissors again and the download dialog will pop up
download2.jpg

If you're already recording motion/IVS events you can choose from the drop down which clips to download
download3.jpg

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah just dont bother with the PC-NVR component.

If you cans see the camera and its storing video you should be able to download from it, onboard card?

Kinda tricky at first
Get video up and pause at point you want to begin record
click scissor icon which places the beginning marker
Now go to far right of timeline and click and grab the end marker. It takes a bit to get the hang of it, and drag it to where you want to end.
View attachment 130465
Click the scissors again and the download dialog will pop up
View attachment 130466

If you're already recording motion/IVS events you can choose from the drop down which clips to download
View attachment 130467
No SD card in the camera, but I may start doing this for new cameras that are installed as a backup. Meaning, can I record to the SD card AND to an NVR? That way if the NVR is 'offline' for any reason the IP camera is still recording to the SD card? Obviously in this scenario the camera would need to be getting power from something other than the PoE port on the NVR.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great, thanks. If I buy an SD card and set it to record to the card, can I use smart pss to export the same as I would if there were an NVR? I assume the answer is yes, I clicked on playback in smart pss and it said that there was no recorded video. With an SD card, I imagine it would find/see recorded video from the SD card.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great, thanks. If I buy an SD card and set it to record to the card, can I use smart pss to export the same as I would if there were an NVR? I assume the answer is yes, I clicked on playback in smart pss and it said that there was no recorded video. With an SD card, I imagine it would find/see recorded video from the SD card.
yes