Dahua NVR not recognizing HRD? First time setting up

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a older hard drive around? Pop it in there and see if it picks it up, does not need to be purple for test purposes.

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not have extra laying around, this system takes 2 hd, if I leave one of the data cables not connected to the HD will it still not pick up the other HD that is connected? Or do the both have to be connected in order for the NVR to recognize it? Because 1 HD is making funny noise so I was wondering if that affects both HD being recognized.

I ordered on Amazon so I will have them replace it, but wanted to confirm it was the HD and not some settings in the NVR or the NVR itself.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I would disconnect the data and power cable from the drive you think is giving you a issue, you do not need both drives hooked up for it to work.

Reactions: jkn

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would disconnect the data and power cable from the drive you think is giving you a issue, you do not need both drives hooked up for it to work.
You are right, it's the HD. I put in a WD Red NAS 4tb SATA hd and it picked it up. However, WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PURZ should work for the NVR right? Spec says it can handle 10TB HD each
'2 SATA III Ports, Up to 10 TB capacity for each HDD'

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
In your original post did you say you had 2(TWO) 8TB Purples ? If one of those new purples is bad it might be raising hell with the other one. Try both Individually , hard to believe both would be bad.

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep bought 2 8tb Purple HD, the both don't work. Returning and buying HD from another seller. I noticed my HD just came in a sealed bag and bubble wrapped, I seen pictures where the come in a Box and are more protected.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea very strange, the chances of both of them being bad are astronomically low. Perhaps they got bounced around. Any means of bench testing one of them before you send em back, I would only because it a higher chance that your NVR might not like em for some strange reason, that would be a good thing to know before you order two more. Just my two cents. You might want to run that past Andy and see if he has any issues with the newer gen purples drives. I would find it hard to believe but one never knows.

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Being a small package I'm sure they get thrown around. Luckily I bought it off Amazon and able to return for free and ordered another pair of WD Purple Drives (next day) hopefully they work.